Senior / Staff Safety Engineer
Gatik, the leader in autonomous middle mile logistics, delivers goods safely and efficiently using its fleet of light & medium duty trucks. The company focuses on short-haul, business-to-business (B2B) logistics for the retail industry, enabling its customers to optimize their hub-and-spoke supply chain operations, enhance inventory pooling across multiple locations, reduce labor costs and meet the unprecedented demand for contactless delivery.
About this role
As a Senior/Staff Safety Engineer, you will be integral in collaborating with software, hardware, infrastructure, and product teams to develop autonomous systems with safety at the forefront. You will be responsible for ensuring that the systems developed will achieve safety targets and satisfy the overall safety requirements with traceability.
The ideal candidate will have deep experience working on highly complex systems with a strong technical ability to decompose high-level architecture into functional modules. You have excellent communication skills and an ability to understand interdependencies and determine appropriate steps through analysis. You recognize that safety is an ‘all-in’ team commitment: you champion safety engineering across the enterprise, partner effectively with each functional discipline, and have keen skills for open, transparent communications.
If you’re an experienced functional safety professional who is looking to be a part of a fun and fast team working on new problems, we'd love to talk to you!
In this role, you will have the opportunity to…
- Lead the safe development of hardware, software, and other functional blocks of AV systems according to established industry standards and best practices
- Align safety targets and develop a safety case in line with standards such as ISO 26262, IEC 61508, ISO 21434, ISO 21448, and UL 4600
- Develop safety requirements from the product and performance (safety goals) to system (functional safety requirements) and subsystem (technical safety requirements) levels
- Mature techniques such as fault detection, fault prevention, and fault tolerance with the goal to design a robust fault detection and monitoring system
- Implement safety mechanisms and strategies such as MRMs/MRCs, safe states, redundancies, fail-operational, fail-degraded, and fail-safe across the AV architecture
- Champion qualitative and quantitative safety & risk analyses, including failure analyses across functional teams, including DFMEA, FTA, HARA, HAZOP, etc.
- Collaborate with internal hardware & software teams, external vendors and automotive partners to tailor safety concepts and ensure it satisfies the Gatik safety specifications
- Perform FuSa analysis on COTS, custom in-house or built-to-spec hardware and software components and engage with suppliers as necessary to review work products
We’re looking for someone who has…
- 6+ years experience of designing and developing safety critical systems across complex disciplines. Preference for automotive expertise, with potential for aerospace or defense.
- Experience managing complex, safety-critical systems with a hardware and software aspect
- Relevant certifications such as Functional Safety (FuSa), CyberSecurity (CySe), UL 4600, etc.
- Experience in multi-disciplinary development, hardware/software integration and hands-on experience with latest AV technologies such as sensors, compute, networking, etc.
- Excellent organization skills in helping cross-disciplinary teams collaborate, communicate and deliver together
Its preferred if you have…
- Deep understanding of functional safety, SOTIF and system architectures that would meet world-leading AV standards
- Previously involved with safety qualification, audits and assessments of products across industries such as consumer electronics, aerospace, automotive, military, etc.
- Experience in Systems with Functional Safety goals based on standards such as IEC 61508, ISO EN 13849, ISO 26262, DO178 or similar
- Familiarity and exposure to Cybersecurity, SOTIF and STPA
- Track record with requirements management and SE tools such as Jama, SysML, or Medini
Working at Gatik
At Gatik, we bring together extraordinarily talented yet humble people to create a more responsive and environmentally sustainable supply chain. We are builders, united behind a bold vision and shared commitment to our values.
From our offices across North America, we relentlessly pursue big goals with focus and determination. We leverage our diversity to design and deliver what's next for our customers and each other. We recognize that the path toward excellence balances thoughtful solutions with aligned action.
At Gatik, we help deliver goods safely and efficiently in diverse communities across North America. To be successful in our mission we need a diverse team.
Gatik is an equal employment opportunity employer. Individuals seeking employment at Gatik are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy status, parent or caregiver status, ancestry, political affiliation, veteran and/or military status, physical or mental disability, or any other status protected by federal or state law.
Gatik makes workplace accommodations for individuals with disabilities as required by law. If you need any accommodations or adjustments throughout the interview process and beyond, please let us know.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Autonomous Delivery Network for the Middle Mile