Head of Hardware Integration
Gatik is the leader in autonomous middle mile logistics. We deliver goods safely, quickly, and efficiently in our fleet of medium-duty trucks, connecting people and communities to the goods they really need. With every delivery, we're making the supply chain more reliable, keeping costs low, driving sustainability, and making the roads safer for all road users.
At Gatik, we believe in establishing new standards of success for the autonomous trucking industry every day. In 2021, we launched the world's first fully driverless commercial delivery service with Walmart, a historic milestone that's changing the way we view goods movement forever. So far in 2022, we have expanded our North American network of autonomous trucks with partners including Loblaws, Georgia-Pacific KBX and Pitney-Bowes. Our growth creates opportunities for collaborative, passionate technical, commercial and operational teams.
Gatik is a place to learn, lead and grow alongside industry veterans who are defining the future of logistics, and we want you to help us shape the next chapter in our journey.
About this role
As the Head of our Hardware Integration Team you will be responsible for leading, managing & growing a talented team of engineers & technicians for delivering high quality vehicle builds following best engineering practices & standards. This role requires strong leadership & cross-functional communication with the internal Hardware and Software teams as well as external manufacturing partners – to ensure repeatable & scalable designs & processes.
The ideal candidate has extensive experience with vehicle integration and/or manufacturing processes for advanced complex automotive systems. This includes being familiar with the standards and best practices for producing high quality electrical and electronic assemblies and integrations. Yo are familiar with the safety requirements and can create a clean, efficient and safe workshop. You have substantial experience to direct systematic troubleshooting and root cause analysis as well as foresight to prevent obvious failures to provide in-time feedback to the supporting engineering teams.
This role is based out of our Mountain View, California office and requires an on-site presence for at least 3 days a week as well as occasional travel within the USA and Canada.
In this role, you will have the opportunity to…
- Manage build and deployment of prototype vehicles following best engineering practices & standards
- Closely work with Design as well as Validation teams for repeatable & scalable designs & processes
- Closely work with Software teams for hardware-software integration processes including sensor calibration, vehicle bring-up, etc
- Manage & collaborate with external contract manufacturing partners to support production of larger volumes
- Manage retrofits and/or upgrade projects for vehicles in operation as well as support critical service & maintenance requests for repairs
- Ensure best practices and engineering standards for installation, integration & verification of automotive electronics, harnesses, electricals, etc.
- Ensure complete build & manufacturing documentation using best industry practices
- Ensure timely communication & reporting to all stakeholders
- Build and manage a team of high-performing individuals including mechatronics engineers, technicians, assemblers, manufacturing engineering and quality engineering
We’re looking for a team member who has...
- 7+ years of experience building prototype and/or low volume production vehicles with 2+ years of experience leading a hands-on team;
- An Engineering degree in Manufacturing, Mechanical, Mechatronics, Electrical or an equivalent field OR a technician’s certificate in Mechatronics plus relevant experience and training;
- Experience in the automotive, trucking, aerospace, robotics, or automation industry at a production scale;
- Experience building automotive harnesses of a high quality and creating high-quality vehicle integrations;
- Experience with sensor technology such as camera, ultrasound, lidar, and radar; and,
- Experience with designing and deploying HiL tests.
It’s preferred if you have…
- Experience with Sensor calibration;
- Coding capabilities to automate workflows (macros or data analysis);
- IPC 620 Training; and,
- CANBus diagnostics and wiring experience.
At Gatik, we connect people of extraordinary talent and experience to an opportunity to create a more resilient supply chain and contribute to our environment’s sustainability. We are diverse in our backgrounds and perspectives yet united by a bold vision and shared commitment to our values.
From our offices in the Bay Area, Toronto, and Texas, we pursue big goals with a relentless focus. We are builders who focus on delivering for our customers and each other. We recognize that the path toward excellence balances thoughtful debate with aligned action.
Individuals seeking employment at Gatik are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy status, parent or caregiver status, ancestry, political affiliation, veteran and/or military status, physical or mental disability, or any other status protected by federal or state law.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Autonomous Delivery Network for the Middle Mile