Hardware Engineering Design Lead
Gatik is the leader in autonomous middle mile logistics. We deliver goods safely, quickly, and efficiently in our fleet of medium-duty trucks, connecting people and communities to the goods they really need. With every delivery, we're making the supply chain more reliable, keeping costs low, driving sustainability, and making the roads safer for all road users.
At Gatik, we believe in establishing new standards of success for the autonomous trucking industry every day. In 2021, we launched the world's first fully driverless commercial delivery service with Walmart, a historic milestone that's changing the way we view goods movement forever.
Gatik is a place to learn, lead and grow alongside industry veterans who are defining the future of logistics, and we want you to help us shape the next chapter in our journey.
As a Lead Design Engineer for Hardware you will lead a multidisciplinary team of mechanical and electronics engineers to produce designs for Autonomous Truck Hardware solutions for both Prototypes and Production needs. You will work together with other teams to successfully define, procure, build, test and validate your solutions. This covers component selection to meet the requirements, hardware package and electrical design, mechanical design, analysis, FMEA and associated design documentation, engineering release processes and defining the hardware needs for test and validation. You will need to build and extend the existing team to meet the needs as the demand grows.
The ideal candidate will be deeply experienced in engineering design efforts in the automotive or robotics sectors including a familiarity with mechatronics systems and sensor technology. You have experience designing for a mobile platform that must perform reliably in a wide range of environment conditions. As our ideal candidate you are deeply familiar with many suppliers and manufacturing processes and can utilize these to create quick, robust and cost-effective solutions. With an analytical, back-to-physics approach you can adapt your designs using calculations and virtual design tools to ensure the first-pass result is an excellent fit. Your design experience includes mathematical modeling, FEA, component testing and documentation. You are familiar and experienced with the design documentation needed for creating safe and reliable systems such as FMEAs and HARAs.
This role is based out of our Mountain View, California office and requires an on-site presence for at least 3 days a week as well as occasional travel within the USA and Canada.
In this role, you will have the opportunity to…
- Lead the team as a technical expert to create optimized and mature hardware designs
- Establish internal standards, training and processes for designing effective new products
- Create excellent designs for fabrication in a robotics and automotive context
- Develop and build a team of mechanical, electrical, and mechatronics engineers.
- Analyze solutions for robustness, reliability, manufacturability, and cost and incorporate feedback from testing and operation.
- Use Industry-standard processes for developing safe and reliable automotive systems.
- Work with other teams assess requirements and constraints and produce an optimal solution.
- Prepare design documentation for high-quality manufacturing and assembly with external vendors and contract manufacturers
We’re looking for a team member who has...
- 7+ years of engineering design experience in a relevant industry (automotive, robotics, aerospace, defense, mobile equipment etc.)
- 2+ years of experience leading a multidisciplinary engineering design team including electronics and mechanical engineering.
- Experience in prototype design and designing for production volumes (hundreds of units and more).
- An Engineering degree in Mechanical, Mechatronics, Electrical or an equivalent field plus relevant professional experience
- Experience in bringing products from prototype into production
- Experience in the automotive, trucking, aerospace, robotics, or automation industry at a production scale
- Good design fundamentals based on engineering experience and a background in engineering mathematics and calculations
- A track record of successful design delivery to the required performance metrics.
It’s preferred if you have any of the following…
- Skills in FEA for CAE
- Experience with sensor technology such as camera, ultrasound, lidar, and radar
- Coding capabilities to automate workflows (macros or data analysis)
- Experience with electromechanical systems and mechatronics
- Robotics or Autonomous Vehicle Experience
- Experience in networking and electronics for automotive or rugged environments
- Experience with automotive wiring and harness design
- Experience in Systems with Functional Safety goals (IEC 61508, ISO EN 13849, ISO 26262, DO178 or similar).
At Gatik, we connect people of extraordinary talent and experience to an opportunity to create a more resilient supply chain and contribute to our environment’s sustainability. We are diverse in our backgrounds and perspectives yet united by a bold vision and shared commitment to our values.
From our offices in the Bay Area, Toronto, and Texas, we pursue big goals with a relentless focus. We are builders who focus on delivering for our customers and each other. We recognize that the path toward excellence balances thoughtful debate with aligned action.
Individuals seeking employment at Gatik are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy status, parent or caregiver status, ancestry, political affiliation, veteran and/or military status, physical or mental disability, or any other status protected by federal or state law.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Autonomous Delivery Network for the Middle Mile