Research Engineer, Space Systems
GNSS (GPS) creates upwards of $500B in economic value in the US every year, supporting everything from consumer applications, to transportation systems, to time sync for critical infrastructure. As these industries progress towards autonomy the performance and security demands of their navigation systems are increasing beyond what GNSS can support, leaving a need for a cost-effective global solution.
Using lessons we've learned at places like SpaceX and Blue Origin, Xona is constructing a modern satellite network at the rapid pace of the new space industry leveraging the recent wave of technology and regulatory advancements. Building on our patent pending small satellite architecture, we are developing a robust and accurate service that is an independent alternative to GNSS rather than a correction, solving the longstanding challenge of obtaining a reliable high accuracy solution from the very fragile GNSS signals. Our satellite system will provide the first ever high-accuracy global navigation and timing services with the security and resilience modern applications need to operate safely at scale.
At Xona you will develop state-of-the-art hardware and software solutions to solve real problems that can have a massive world impact. Xona is driven by the mission to enable modern devices to operate safely in any environment, anywhere on Earth, and unlock the true potential of the age of autonomy.
Xona is seeking a Senior Research Engineer with expertise in Space Systems to join our team. This research and development role will look at problems surrounding Xonas ultimate system deployment, consisting of a constellation of Low Earth Orbiting (LEO) satellites, supporting ground infrastructure, and a user segment comprised of devices that give reliable and trusted PNT. You will work directly with the CTO to spearhead advanced systems concepts and to assess their feasibility as part of Xonas long term technology roadmap development. This will include scoping and sizing of space and ground systems along with modeling expected system performance of PNT and other future capabilities. Furthermore, you will develop manufacturing and deployment strategies as part of feasibility and trade studies. You will further interact with the space systems and satellite team at Xona who are working towards demonstration and pathfinder missions towards the first production deployment. This role will help to inform how early production deployment can evolve towards meeting the long-term capability goals for PNT and beyond.
Desired Qualification (not all are expected):
- Experience with space, ground, and mission systems engineering.
- Experience with high level planning / scoping, including strategies for satellite deployment and manufacturing.
- Familiarity with satellite communications systems.
- Familiarity with link budgets / throughput analysis.
- Familiarity with GPS/GNSS systems.
- Experience with C++, Python, and/or MATLAB.
- 10+ years of related experience
- Experience with space / ground systems engineering including system sizing, requirements definition, performance estimates, and RFP/RFI writing.
- Comfortable in a research and development setting working with open-ended problems.
- Familiarity with system modeling and simulation.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Successful candidates must pass security assessment for the Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP) and ITAR.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
UNLEASH THE AGE OF AUTONOMY