We are seeking a Manufacturing Engineer to join us as we develop state-of-the-art modular hydrogen capsule technology and a fuel cell-electric powertrain for the world’s first zero-emission regional airliner. You will be part of a team pioneering the integration of new technologies including hydrogen fuel cells and megawatt-class electric motors for the first time in commercial aviation. Your role, working directly with our multidisciplinary engineering team, will be to plan and develop the end-to-end manufacturing setup of our future state-of-the-art factory in Albuquerque, New Mexico. This is an opportunity to use your imagination and vision toward setting up a new manufacturing facility that will contribute to the future potential of hydrogen as a means of accelerating the decarbonization of the transport industry.
About the Role
- Design a factory layout for manufacturing our gaseous and liquid hydrogen capsules, storage modules and powertrain conversion kits, and logistics operations.
- Develop lean and efficient manufacturing processes by studying product requirements, analyzing and planning workflow, space requirements, equipment layout, researching testing methods, and quality metrics, and conferring with equipment vendors.
- Optimize manufacturing process flow, personnel, and equipment requirements for production ramp-up.
- Collaborate with the building construction manager and architects to support the construction of the manufacturing facility.
- Work with the engineering design team to validate manufacturing and assembly concepts and provide alternatives when necessary.
- Integrate product and process quality into the manufacturing setup and apply statistical analytic tools to track and validate critical to quality metrics. (SPC, MSA, Capability Studies)
- Proficiency and confidence in building a manufacturing facility from the ground up; automotive or aviation industry experience would be a plus.
- Expertise and passion for developing lean and efficient manufacturing processes, and analyzing product requirements.
- Knowledgeable in plant layout, value stream mapping, ERP/MES systems, machining, carbon filament winding, process automation, manufacturing process, and line setup and optimization.
- Background in maintaining product and process compliance with required regulations (ISO, AAS13100, OSHA).
- Comfortable with 50% travel and developing a team across the United States.
At Universal Hydrogen, our mission is to fuel carbon-free flight and reduce the climate impact of air travel. We are stitching together the end-to-end hydrogen value chain for aviation, both for hydrogen fuel and hydrogen-powered airplanes. We are building a transport and logistics network that moves hydrogen from production facilities to airports over the existing freight infrastructure, eliminating the need for costly new pipelines and storage facilities. Our system utilizes specialized capsules that safely store hydrogen during transit and also act as modular fuel tanks that load directly onto aircraft. We are also developing powertrain conversion kits to retrofit existing airplanes and enable new airplanes to fly on hydrogen. Founded by former executives from Airbus, United Technologies, Google, and DARPA, and backed by investors such as Playground Global, JetBlue, Toyota, and Airbus, we are convinced that hydrogen is the best and only scalable solution to truly decarbonize aviation, and we want to bring it to market decades sooner—by 2025.
We strive for a culture that is empowered, collaborative, open, and human-centered. We are driven by a sense of urgency to address climate change through the near-term decarbonization of commercial aviation. We recognize that people have a diverse set of preferences for work conditions and hours that optimize for their overall productivity and wellness, and both our cloud-based IT setup and flexible work policy reflects this. However, because we are building physical products, most roles will require working at our facility at Hawthorne Airport in Los Angeles most of the time.
Our compensation and benefits package promotes transparency, equitability, and long-term employee well-being, while rewarding individual and team performance. This includes cash bonuses and significant equity participation for all salaried employees, employer-paid health insurance coverage, generous parental leave, a pet-friendly headquarters located at Hawthorne Airport in Los Angeles, and generous paid time off. As a young company, we are actively working to expand the benefits we provide—including childcare, retirement, parental, and mental health benefits—and we’re always open to feedback on what’s most important to you.
We know that no two candidates are the same, and we want to give you the opportunity to present yourself in the best way possible. Don’t hesitate to let us know how we can support a great recruitment process for you—whether that includes off-hours interview scheduling, captioning/transcription services, or other accommodations. We value diversity in all its forms, and encourage people from all backgrounds to apply, especially if you share in our mission to decarbonize air travel.
Please note that for the health and safety of our employees, we require all employees to provide proof of up-to-date COVID-19 vaccinations as recommended by the CDC (or a valid exemption).
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Fueling Carbon-Free Flight