Senior BMS Controls Engineer
Who we are:
Solo AVT is creating the only clean-sheet, battery-electric heavy truck that is designed for any human or autonomous driver, and is capable of exceeding 500 miles of range. The Solo AVT team has decades of experience in the autonomous and electric vehicle industries, most notably the Tesla and Waymo Class 8 trucks. You will be working with a highly cross-functional team of systems, software, hardware and vehicle engineers, as well as an incredibly talented team of designers, technicians, and a wide range of other professionals.
Position: Sr. BMS Engineer - Automotive
FLSA Classification: Exempt
Reports to: Software Lead
As a Sr. BMS control engineer, you will be responsible for designing and implementing BMS features for an electrical truck. As the team grows, you may be designated as a subject matter expert and will be asked to provide guidance to junior team members. The ideal candidate works well within a diverse team while also being able to operate independently and deliver projects on time and to specification. This candidate is able to solve complex problems by working up from the engineering fundamentals to develop the best solution, regardless of what others are doing or have done. We can’t change the world by doing it the way everyone else has done it! Finally, while we are an engineering driven company, you will need to be able to effectively communicate with our co-workers and partners in both technical and non-technical capacities.
- Lead requirement development and analysis of BMS features, diagnostics, and control software
- Develop safety-critical BMS functions such as fault detection, balancing control, thermal management, battery contactor control and charging.
- Perform FMEA for BMS control software
- Work with cross functional teams to perform root cause analysis, recommend solutions, and negotiate and execute contingency plans
- Support, organize and lead customer and supplier meetings
- Create report which address critical vehicle control issues and engage cross functional engineering support as required
- Documentation of algorithm development and testing results, and integration of the documentation within the relevant tools.
- Support product development and testing timeline planning with cross-functional hardware, controls, and software teams
Job Requirements - Essential Skills:
- Solid control background in linear/nonlinear systems analysis, stability, and controller design
- Experience, understanding, and intuition for the physics of electric propulsion and motion control systems
- Creating dynamic models of electrical and mechanical systems
- Model development and data analysis in Matlab/Simulink
- Strong communication and preference for working in teams
- Hands-on work is an integral part of being an engineer at SOLO AVT, so familiarity with and a willingness to use basic hand tools is necessary for success
- Experience with BMS control and calibration in electrical vehicle
- Good understanding of automotive functional safety standards like ISO 26262
- Familiarity with Electric Vehicle (EV) drive systems
- Capability of delivering high-quality code in an embedded environment
- MS/PhD in EE/ME or equivalent
- 5+ years experience in controls system development, modeling, and implementation in an embedded environment
- 3+ years working experience in automotive, or aerospace industries
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States. Unfortunately, Solo
AVT cannot sponsor new visa applicants at this time.
What we offer you:
- High-quality individual and family medical, dental, and vision insurance with an employer contribution.
- Competitive compensation packages.
- Employer-paid group term life insurance.
- Employer-paid Short-term and Long-term disability insurances.
- 401(k) with company match.
- Paid vacation
- Holidays following the Federal Holiday Schedule.
We are all hands on deck at Solo AVT in our efforts to create exciting change within the trucking world. The ideal candidate will be both adventurous and versatile. Daily activities could range from a full day of designing components at your desk, to full days working in the shop building out huge Class 8 trucks, and everything in between. Each day will be an adventure and you should feel comfortable handling moderately sized components within your daily routine.
Subject to periodic travel requirements. Company-related travel expenses reimbursed per the company’s Travel and Expense Reimbursement policy.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Solo AVT, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Solo AVT, Inc. is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. Please let the recruiter know if you need an accommodation at any point during the interview process.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Revolutionizing the Freight Transportation Industry