DevOps Engineer II (Hybrid)
May Mobility is transforming cities through autonomous technology to create a safer, greener, more accessible world. Based in Ann Arbor, Michigan, May develops and deploys autonomous vehicles (AVs) powered by our innovative Multi-Policy Decision Making (MPDM) technology that literally reimagines the way AVs think.
Our vehicles do more than just drive themselves - they provide value to communities, bridge public transit gaps and move people where they need to go safely, easily and with a lot more fun. We’re building the world’s best autonomy system to reimagine transit by minimizing congestion, expanding access and encouraging better land use in order to foster more green, vibrant and livable spaces. Since our founding in 2017, we’ve given more than 300,000 autonomy-enabled rides to real people around the globe. And we’re just getting started. We’re hiring people who share our passion for building the future, today, solving real-world problems and seeing the impact of their work. Join us.
This role is a remote role, reporting to our headquarters in Ann Arbor, Michigan
Software @ May Mobility
May Software Engineers are changing how the world moves. Whether they’re writing software to communicate with our vehicles, improving tooling for autonomy, automating cloud infrastructure for our data processing, or creating experiences for customers, our software engineers think with a systems level view towards making autonomous vehicles a reality today.
The Software, Data & Infrastructure (SDI) Team is a key enabler of the May Mobility mission, operationalizing the experience of using autonomous technology for real people on real routes. We leverage automation and DevOps culture to build cloud infrastructure and developer productivity tools at scale. We provide the data backbone of the company, from raw log data on vehicles to consumers with varying needs. We build experiences for internal teams managing the fleet, external customers and passengers. Members of this tight-knit group act as a force multiplier for the company.
DevOps Engineer II
The DevOps Engineer II will be responsible for helping define, evange and implement DevOps strategy and overall software engineering best practices and tooling for the Company. You will be working with teams across May Mobility to help support and implement build and delivery solutions in our various environments (primarily AWS). As a DevOps Engineer II, you will be expected to promote development best practices across the company and have a mindset of process improvement.
The ideal candidate will have multiple years of development experience and has been working in a DevOps role for the past three or more years. Candidates with SysAdmin backgrounds are also encouraged to apply, but the candidate will have to be comfortable reading and writing code across multiple tech stacks. The ideal candidate will also be a champion for development best practices and is well versed in the various methodologies that are practiced in development organizations. They will have a mind for process improvement and will always be on the lookout for areas that can be automated. They will always be asking the questions of whether or not something is scalable.
Your Opportunity to Drive Success
- Help define, implement and evangelize the overall DevOps strategy across the organization.
- Help with the administration of multiple Public Cloud accounts
- Implement secure and scalable solutions in Public Cloud for various technical teams
- Provide recommendations for deployment architecture and process improvements
- Build pipelines to deploy infrastructure and application changes to multiple environments
- Define and implement infrastructure as code using Terraform or Cloud Formation
- Create new build jobs using GitLab and Jenkins, and refactor legacy build specifications to conform with modern tools and practices
- Troubleshoot issues across Public Cloud services and environments
- Promote development best practices across teams
- Develop containerized solutions end to end
- Participate in On-Call and Incident Response as needed
- 3+ years of experience working with public cloud providers through Console, API and Command Line (AWS Preferred)
- 3+ years of experience using configuration management tools such as Chef, Ansible or Puppet
- 3+ years of experience with IaC tools such as Terraform or Cloud Formation
- 3+ years developing build pipelines for CI/CD software delivery
- 3+ years of experience with Linux system administration
- 1+ year scripting or programming experience (Shell, Python, Groovy, etc)
- Experience with managing and supporting various Public Cloud services and components primarily with compute, storage, and containers
- Experience with container orchestration (Kubernetes preferred)
- Experience with managed database services (such as Dynamo, RDS, or Aurora)
- Able to implement configuration management solutions for managing deployed resources
- Change management and strong communication skills
- Experience in leading adoption of DevOps practices
- Expertise administering data services such as PostgreSQL, Managed Kafka, In Memory Caching, NoSQL
- Experience with IP routing including IPv6
Benefits and Perks
- Paid health benefits including vision and dental
- Unlimited paid vacation policy and generous holidays
- Significant stock options
- Daily catered lunches and snacks
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and/or people of color are less likely to apply to a job unless they meet every qualification. At May Mobility, we’re committed to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workforce, so if you’re excited about this role but your previous experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification, we encourage you to apply anyway! You may be the perfect candidate for this or another role at May.
Want to learn more about our culture & benefits? Check out our website!
May Mobility is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants for employment will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, genetics or any other legally protected basis. Below, you have the opportunity to share your preferred gender pronouns, gender, ethnicity, and veteran status with May Mobility to help us identify areas of improvement in our hiring and recruitment processes. Completion of these questions is entirely voluntary. Any information you choose to provide will be kept confidential, and will not impact the hiring decision in any way. If you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: May Mobility does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, May Mobility does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Nice to move you