Government Operations Technical Program Manager
Located in Northern California, the Joby Aviation team is steadily working toward our goal of creating an affordable, all-electric air transportation system. Imagine an air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly and quickly carries you over the traffic congestion below, giving you back the time that otherwise would have spent sitting in traffic. Since 2009, our team has been making this dream a reality, designing and flight testing a prototype aircraft capable of serving in a network of electric air taxis. We’re looking for talented individuals to join our team as we push onwards toward certifying the aircraft with the Federal Aviation Administration and preparing for commercialization with launch targeted in select markets for 2024.
Joby Aviation’s Government Operations team is looking for a program manager with a blend of technical and soft skills to help bring Joby’s revolutionary aircraft to market. In this role you will report to the Senior Government Operations and Strategy Manager while coordinating important company-wide projects and helping Joby deliver on commitments to the Department of Defense and other strategic partners.
You will join a small team that partners with government organizations on a broad variety of Joby’s projects spanning research and development, flight test, manufacturing, early operations planning, and many other areas. In this role, you will strengthen our partnerships by coordinating the progress of these efforts with Joby’s technical teams, ensuring that milestones are completed according to contracts, and maintaining relationships with partner organizations.
Due to the nature of the role, occasional travel may be required. Ideal candidates have engineering and project management experience in the aerospace, electric vehicle, automotive, or similar industries. We are looking for someone with exceptional ability to communicate across multiple technical disciplines and organizational levels. Finally, an ideal candidate should be a team player able to operate in a fast-paced, demanding, and rewarding environment.
- Report directly to the Senior Government Operations and Strategy Manager
- Collaborate with technical teams across Joby to produce status updates, reports, and presentations on key research, development, and testing projects for government partners
- Coordinate with Joby’s aircraft certification team and government partners to maintain progress on Joby’s DoD airworthiness roadmap
- Develop and maintain status reports to inform internal and external stakeholders of project progress, risks, and mitigations
- Confer with team leads across the organization to determine critical paths, constraints, and impact of schedule changes to government partnerships
- Assist with developing and writing new proposals; including working with engineering, finance, and strategy teams to define the scope, cost, schedule, and benefit of proposed projects
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or relevant field, or equivalent experience
- 5+ years of experience in an engineering or product environment with responsibility for project scheduling and management
- Demonstrated success working cross-functionally with technical and non-technical teams
- Experience managing multiple projects simultaneously
- Expertise in technical writing: ability to formulate the right questions for technical experts, tease out detail and nuance, and turn information gathered into clear and concise prose
- Proficiency in common workplace software: Word, spreadsheet, presentation software, etc.
*This role will require access to controlled technology
- Advanced degree in engineering, business, or related discipline
- Experience with aerospace or electric vehicle projects; especially related to testing,
- advanced development, or certification and standards.
- Proficiency in project management tools such as ClickUp, Microsoft Project, and JIRA.
- Experience with federal proposal management and contracting
Pursuant to various local, state, and federal regulations, you must show proof of your full COVID-19 vaccination status prior to your start date. Exemption requests are available for bona fide religious and medical circumstances.
Joby Aviation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing