Powertrain and Electronics - Test Engineer (Electromechanical)
Located in Northern California, the Joby Aviation team is steadily working toward our goal of creating an affordable, all-electric air transportation system. Imagine an air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly and quickly carries you over the traffic congestion below, giving you back the time that otherwise would have spent sitting in traffic. Since 2009, our team has been making this dream a reality, designing and flight testing a prototype aircraft capable of serving in a network of electric air taxis. We’re looking for talented individuals to join our team as we push onwards toward certifying the aircraft with the Federal Aviation Administration and preparing for commercialization with launch targeted in select markets for 2024.
Joby Aviation is seeking a passionate, motivated and hands-on Test Engineer to aid in characterization, performance, environmental and reliability testing of powertrain & electronics system comprising of electric motor, inverter and related systems and/or components. This role supports the Integrated Product Team (IPT) and leads the testing efforts on verification and validation testing activities for the propulsion systems.
- Responsible for leading overall test activities for the assigned system/ sub-system/ components by following Joby processes and/or procedures
- Be an active member of cross functional team and support the development team in planning and executing testing required to refine propulsion systems and/or components including but not limited to electric motor(s), inverter(s), pump, fan, radiator etc
- Work closely with Integrated Product Team (IPT) to understand testing needs, milestones & deliverables and manage associated activities using Joby test processes execute them
- Author and release test procedures for development testing, acceptance testing, qualification testing & certification testing for powertrain and electronics systems and/or components
- Co-ordinate with reliability test engineer to define appropriate test profiles for demonstrating reliability of systems and/or components
- Develop test stand requirements to support product testing and work with equipment design team to ensure appropriate test capabilities are adequate to support product development process
- Develop LabView/Python scripts for test automation and in-situ data collection. Assist technician in test setups, execution of tests as needed on test equipment (Dynes, Chambers, shakers, test benches etc)
- Participate in failure and Root Cause Analysis of sub-systems and components used in with in powertrain and electronics system (from validation, reliability, and field testing)
- Experience in propulsion HV electric motor/ inverter testing specifically around integration testing
- Expertise LabView/Python/ MATLAB/ NI Diadem to aid in data collection and analysis
- Practical experience in using miscellaneous lab equipment such as oscilloscopes, NI DAQ systems, power analyzers, power supplies etc
- B.S. in Electrical Engineering or related discipline is required
- Ability to thrive in ambiguous and fast paced environment
- Be agile and adapt to evolving requirements and change in directions
- Prior experience in HV electric motor and/or inverter testing is preferred
- Knowledge of complicated test equipment such as dyno and its related equipment is a plus
- Experience with HV systems and/or avionics mechanical or electrical hardware
- Knowledge of aerospace requirements and standards is preferred but not required
Pursuant to various local, state, and federal regulations, you must show proof of your full COVID-19 vaccination status prior to your start date. Exemption requests are available for bona fide religious and medical circumstances.
Joby Aviation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing