Senior Test Equipment Design Engineer (Electrical Design)
Located in Northern California, the Joby Aviation team is steadily working toward our goal of creating an affordable, all-electric air transportation system. Imagine an air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly and quickly carries you over the traffic congestion below, giving you back the time that otherwise would have spent sitting in traffic. Since 2009, our team has been making this dream a reality, designing and flight testing a prototype aircraft capable of serving in a network of electric air taxis. We’re looking for talented individuals to join our team as we push onwards toward certifying the aircraft with the Federal Aviation Administration and preparing for commercialization with launch targeted in select markets for 2024.
Joby Aviation is seeking a highly organized, passionate individual to join our Testing Team. As part of this team you will design hardware to assemble, install, and perform validation and verification testing of flight critical components for VTOL electric aircraft. Work may include detailed CAD / electrical design of parts and systems, hands-on prototyping and integration of components into designs, on the fly modifications of systems to match modifications on the flight hardware, etc.
- Create, and mentor others in the design of hardware to assemble, install, and perform validation and verification testing of flight critical components and systems. This will require working closely with the Airframe and Actuators, Propulsion and Avionics, and Software teams, to capture the nuances of the components, system architectures, and operating conditions, that define the design requirements for these projects.
- Develop electrical equipment, schematics and power systems for test equipment. This is includes integrating off the shelf high and low voltage systems.
- Develop for safe operator use
- Lead integration of designs and ensure that the systems meet the design requirements set out from the beginning. This may involve on-the-fly modifications of designs to keep up with modifications to the hardware to be assembled, installed, or tested.
- Manage the project status and timelines for the Integration and Testing Design Team and collaborate with Team Lead to ensure proper resource allocation to de-risk the critical paths.
- Create and implement tools to maximize Design Team productivity.
- Manage the hardware needs of the Design Team and provide recommendations for investment.
- M.S. in Electrical or Power Engineering, or a relevant discipline
- 6+ years of work experience in relevant industry
- Strong engineering knowledge and instincts
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Strong communication and social skills. The ability to work with many different people and manage working relationships
- Hands-on attitude
- Proficiency in Computer Aided Design, engineering drawing and electrical schematic creation
- Experience in electrical design and integration of industrial equipment in process or test equipment.
- Experience with control and grounding schemes, and large integrated electrical systems.
- Experience with project execution from initial concept development through to final commissioning of system.
- Ph.D in relevant discipline
- 10+ years of work experience in relevant industry
- Hands on machine shop skills using lathe, mill, welder, and other machine shop equipment.
- Experience with Solidworks, CATIA (V5 / 3DX), AutoCad Electrical
- Experience designing aerospace test or test equipment in general.
- Experience with design of automated hardware, including sensor selection and implementation
- Experience with PLC programming and controller development for industrial equipment
- Experience with hardware in the loop testing
- Experience designing aircraft flight hardware and/or ground support equipment
- Experience with High Voltage systems
- Aircraft homebuilding or rapid prototyping experience is a plus
- Experience with aircraft FAA certification processes
Pursuant to various local, state, and federal regulations, you must show proof of your full COVID-19 vaccination status prior to your start date. Exemption requests are available for bona fide religious and medical circumstances.
Joby Aviation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing