Certification Engineer, Human Factors
Located in Northern California, the Joby Aviation team has been steadily working toward our goal of providing safe, affordable, fully electric air transportation that is accessible to everyone. Imagine an air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly and quickly carries you over the congestion below, giving you back that time you’d otherwise spend sitting in traffic. Technology has advanced to the point where designing and operating an all-electric aircraft is completely viable. Our team has been discreetly designing and flight testing this vehicle and is looking for talented individuals to see it through certification and high rate production.
The Human Factors Certification Engineer will be the focal for concept development and validation, systems integration, and certification activities related to Human Factors aspects of the aircraft design. This role will serve as the internal Subject Matter Expert as well as the primary external point of contact with regulatory agencies, industry standards groups, and suppliers for Human Factors considerations. The most important traits at Joby are a positive attitude towards the project, strong work ethic, and being able to self-manage and learn new skills. Forward thinking and the ability to adapt quickly to a fast-paced environment are a must.
It is preferred that this individual be an FAA DER or candidate.
This position will be responsible for working with multiple engineering and pilot teams to:
- Establish design philosophies and strategies for Human Factors considerations, including Simplified Vehicle Operations
- Execute design development activities for Human Factors, including mock-ups, simulators, and user feedback studies
- Lead certification planning for Human Factors considerations
- Convey requirements in a way that clearly breaks down the product objectives, regulations, and guidance material into specific and verifiable requirements
- Review designs, develop solutions, and ensure compliance with company objectives and airworthiness standards
- Determining and interpreting the certification basis and establishing the compliance strategy – including means and methods of compliance
- Developing, reviewing, and approving certification-related documents, including
- Issue Papers, Special Conditions, Equivalent Levels of Safety, etc.
- Certification Plans and Summaries
- Test Plans and Reports
- Design and Analysis Reports
- Planning out test campaigns, overseeing test article fabrication, and witnessing tests in order demonstrate applicable design show compliance with airworthiness standards
- Interfacing with certification authorities as required (FAA, EASA, etc.)
- Mentoring junior engineers
- An expert level understanding of design standards and verification methods for Human Factors aspects of airplanes and helicopters
- Previous experience with Human Factors aspects of aircraft development
- Previous FAA certification experience
- Working knowledge of 14 CFR Part 23 regulations and guidance material
- The ability to question assumptions in regulations, guidance material, and engineering specifications
- The ability to read, review, and create engineering specifications and drawings
- At least 10 years of relevant aviation or aerospace industry experience
- A Bachelor’s of Science in an applicable engineering discipline
- Proficient in English
- Proficient with Microsoft Office products
- Pursuant to various local, state, and federal regulations, you must show proof of your full COVID-19 vaccination status prior to your start date. Exemption requests are available for bona fide religious and medical circumstances
- An FAA Designated Engineering Representative (DER)
- Whole-aircraft FAA certification program experience, Part 23 or Part 27 experience preferred
- A private pilot certificate, advanced ratings preferred
- Experience using a variety of avionics and flight control systems
- Experience in testing planning, execution, and reporting
- Experience and involvement with industry groups to develop consensus standards
- Familiar with Dassault Systemes engineering and management tools
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing