Product Quality Engineer, Composites
Located in Northern California, the Joby Aviation team is steadily working toward our goal of creating an affordable, all-electric air transportation system. Imagine an air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly and quickly carries you over the traffic congestion below, giving you back the time that otherwise would have spent sitting in traffic. Since 2009, our team has been making this dream a reality, designing and flight testing a prototype aircraft capable of serving in a network of electric air taxis. We’re looking for talented individuals to join our team as we push onwards toward certifying the aircraft with the Federal Aviation Administration and preparing for commercialization with launch targeted in select markets for 2024.
- Support the development, verification and transition of the manufacture of composite parts from development to a conforming production process
- Participate in development of PFMEA’s and creation of Control plans for the manufacturing processes
- Support and perform process and equipment qualification audits per internal procedures
- Review and approve Manufacturing Work Instructions (MWI) for compliance with engineering data and incorporation of inspection points
- Perform design review activities including inspectability, GD&T, consistency, adequacy, accuracy, and conformance to requirements and provide recommendations for improvement
- Develop and manage data and metrics using data visualization tools to report and provide information with recommendations for product/process improvements and reduce cost of poor quality
- Perform product quality and quality management system reviews to assure compliance with drawings, work instructions, internal and regulatory requirements.
- Analyze product and process failures to ensure effective root cause analysis and implementation of corrective and preventive actions internally
- Manage supplier review and approvals including Supplier Quality flow down requirements
- Represent Quality on the Material Review Board (MRB) and Engineering Change Actions
- Create, review and approve internal and supplier First Article Inspection (FAI) plans
- Bachelor's degree in engineering, technology or related field
- Minimum 5 year's experience in a manufacturing environment
- Requires understanding of Composite manufacturing and inspection processes including in-process lamination inspection, cure verification, and dimensional inspection
- Product and process control – planning processes, material control, acceptance sampling and measurement systems
- Fundamental understanding of quality philosophies, principles, systems, methods, tools, ISO9001 standards, organizational and team dynamics, customer expectations and satisfaction, supplier relations and performance, leadership, training, interpersonal relationships, improvement systems and professional ethics
- ISO9001 or AS9100 Quality Management System development and implementation
- First Article Inspection development and implementation (AS9102 process understanding preferred)
- Quality Management – tracking, analyzing, reporting and problem solving
- Knowledge of reliability, maintainability, and risk management, including key terms and definitions, modeling, systems design, assessment tools and reporting
- Thorough understanding of problem-solving (corrective action) and quality improvement tools and techniques (eg: six sigma, lean). This includes knowledge of management and planning tools, quality tools, preventive and corrective actions, and how to overcome barriers to quality improvements
- Understanding of controls and requirements necessary to ensure measurement quality and provide measurement assurance (Metrology)
- Ability to understand, interpret, and analyze process behavior to discover issues and find solutions for production issues (Statistical Process Control)
- Internal audits – audit types, planning, preparation, execution, reporting results and follow-up
- Ability to read and interpret drawings of complex nature to develop in-process and receiving inspection plans
- Development and presentation of quality reports for management review, corrective action and continuous improvement activities
- Demonstrates understanding and wide application of technical principles, theories, and concepts in the field
- Possesses foresight in identifying future problems and proposes potential solutions to the team (proactive)
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills including writing skills
- Ability to work without supervision. Independent problem solver
- Works with other disciplines to support goals of the business
- Intermediate Microsoft Office experience
- Experience in the aviation industry
- Knowledge of FAA regulatory requirements
- ASQ Certified Quality Engineer
Pursuant to various local, state, and federal regulations, you must show proof of your full COVID-19 vaccination status prior to your start date. Exemption requests are available for bona fide religious and medical circumstances.
Joby Aviation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing