Director of Strategic Supply Chain
This role presents a unique opportunity for you to grow and develop a team to help deploy zero emission aviation. Your team will support Universal Hydrogen with the strategic and tactical sourcing of products and technology to enable Universal Hydrogen’s unique hydrogen storage solutions, powertrain and the supporting value chain. This includes managing long-term strategic relations and building strong relationships with strategic suppliers. You will report to the COO and be part of the operations leadership team overseeing activities in Hawthorne (US) and Toulouse (FR).
About the Role
- Establish and lead a strategic sourcing organization that will work very close with our suppliers and partners and manage long term strategic relations.
- You and your team will work very closely with Universal Hydrogen’s engineering team (integrated product development) where the supply chain will be built as part of the product development project.
- Develop the sourcing strategy for Universal Hydrogen as the cost of the aircraft conversion and the hydrogen value chain has to reach fossil parity and outcompete traditional aviation fuel.
- Source products and technologies for: the aircraft conversion, our hydrogen storage and the equipment needed to operate the hydrogen value chain.
- Prepare a supplier base to scale quickly when Universal Hydrogen starts delivery on our commercial products and build up the organization to execute this.
- Proven track record of conceptualizing technology for scalability.Proven track record of strategic and tactical sourcing within the aviation industry.
- Proven ability to lead and mentor a team to negotiate a variety of contracts like supply agreements, CAPEX contracts, Joint Development agreements, etc.
- Engineering and advanced business education or similar experience preferred where there is a strong technical and commercial understanding.
- Able to work on all levels from developing the strategy to very hands on in critical supply situations in a high growth environment.
- Understanding the aviation industry and the requirements for certification would be a plus.
At Universal Hydrogen, our mission is to fuel carbon-free flight and reduce the climate impact of air travel. We are stitching together the end-to-end hydrogen value chain for aviation, both for hydrogen fuel and hydrogen-powered airplanes. We are building a transport and logistics network that moves hydrogen from production facilities to airports over the existing freight infrastructure, eliminating the need for costly new pipelines and storage facilities. Our system utilizes specialized capsules that safely store hydrogen during transit and act as modular fuel tanks that load directly onto aircraft. We are also developing powertrain conversion kits to retrofit existing airplanes and enable new airplanes to fly on hydrogen. Founded by former executives from Airbus, United Technologies, Google, and DARPA, and backed by investors such as Playground Global, Tencent, Toyota, GE, JetBlue, and Airbus, we are convinced that hydrogen is the best and only scalable solution to truly decarbonize aviation, and we want to bring it to market decades sooner—by 2025.
We strive for a workplace that is open, friendly, and fun, while valuing focus, urgency, camaraderie, and maverick behavior in accomplishing our mission. We recognize that people have a diverse set of preferences for work conditions and hours that optimize their overall productivity and wellness, and both our cloud-based IT setup and flexible work policy reflect this. However, because we are building physical products, most roles will require working at our facility at Hawthorne Airport in Los Angeles or at Toulouse-Blagnac Airport in Toulouse most of the time.
Our compensation and benefits package promotes transparency, equitability, and long-term employee well-being, while rewarding individual and team performance. This includes a significant variable pay component in the cash compensation, equity participation for all employees, 100% coverage of healthcare costs, and dog-friendly offices. As a young company, we are continually expanding our benefits, striving to provide our employees with the support they need to be their best both in and outside of the office. In the next few months, we are rolling out childcare support, catered meals, green mobility support, and private pilot (PPL) training—and we’re always open to feedback on what’s most important to you!
We know that no two candidates are the same, and we want to give you the opportunity to present yourself in the best way possible. Don’t hesitate to let us know how we can support a great recruitment process for you—whether that includes off-hours interview scheduling, captioning/transcription services, or other accommodations. We value diversity in all its forms, and encourage people from all backgrounds to apply, especially if you share in our mission to decarbonize air travel.
Please note that for the health and safety of our employees, we require all employees to provide proof of up-to-date COVID-19 vaccinations as recommended by the CDC (or a valid exemption).
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Fueling Carbon-Free Flight