Data Science Manager (Hybrid)
May Mobility is transforming cities through autonomous technology to create a safer, greener, more accessible world. Based in Ann Arbor, Michigan, May develops and deploys autonomous vehicles (AVs) powered by our innovative Multi-Policy Decision Making (MPDM) technology that literally reimagines the way AVs think.
Our vehicles do more than just drive themselves - they provide value to communities, bridge public transit gaps and move people where they need to go safely, easily and with a lot more fun. We’re building the world’s best autonomy system to reimagine transit by minimizing congestion, expanding access and encouraging better land use in order to foster more green, vibrant and livable spaces. Since our founding in 2017, we’ve given more than 300,000 autonomy-enabled rides to real people around the globe. And we’re just getting started. We’re hiring people who share our passion for building the future, today, solving real-world problems and seeing the impact of their work. Join us.
About May Mobility
May Mobility is a self-driving technology company working to transform today's mobility landscape, by starting with a niche market–low-speed shuttles for public roadways. Our vehicles are on the streets of Detroit and Grand Rapids, Michigan and Providence, Rhode Island, navigating complex downtown scenarios and transporting thousands of people on their daily commute every week. We are establishing a ground game that will propel us into even larger markets in the future.
Based in Ann Arbor, Michigan, our team develops driverless technology to give people more time to laugh with friends, to solve an interesting problem, or to enjoy the world around them. We’re hiring people who share our passion for building the future, today.
Software @ May Mobility
May Software Engineers are changing how the world moves. Whether they’re writing software to communicate with our vehicles, improving tooling for autonomy, automating cloud infrastructure for our data processing, or creating experiences for customers, our software engineers think with a systems level view towards making autonomous vehicles a reality today.
Software and Data Infrastructure Team
The SDI Team is a key enabler of the May Mobility mission, operationalizing the experience of using autonomous technology for real people on real routes. We leverage automation and DevOps culture to build cloud infrastructure and developer productivity tools at scale. We provide the data backbone of the company, from raw log data on vehicles to consumers with varying needs. We build experiences for internal teams managing the fleet, external customers and passengers. Members of this tight-knit group act as a force multiplier for the company.
Your Opportunity to Drive Success
- Champion May Mobility’s mission, vision, values and company priorities to develop and execute overall org strategy with fellow engineering leaders
- Lead a team of Data Scientist and Data Analysts, providing mentorship, regular feedback, and promoting professional growth opportunities
- Responsible for team hiring, growth, and retention goals
- Coaching and educating both aspiring and experienced professionals on latest machine learning and statistical models that could be used to extract meaningful insights from vehicle data to power May Mobility’s data products
- Oversee and actively contribute to definition, design and implementation of models that utilize various and diverse data sets to solve problems related to autonomous and shared transportation
- Partnering closely with other Engineering Managers from Data Engineering, Software Engineering, Autonomy Engineering and Infrastructure
- Escalate critical issues and opportunities within the team to engineering leadership, making clear recommendations to maximize the effectiveness of the team with respect to company priorities
- Collaborate with Technical Product Managers across the engineering department to plan task timelines and delegation of responsibilities
- B.S. Degree in Engineering, Data Science, Math, Statistics, or an equivalent degree
- A minimum of 7+ years of industry experience
- A minimum of 2+ years of demonstrated success in leading teams and delegating responsibilities
- Experience analyzing, evaluating and transforming data from multiple sources
- Experience with a programming language, such as Python, R, SQL
- Experience working with databases, such as Postgres, MySQL, SQL Server
- Attention to detail and rigorous testing methodology
- High degree of comfort in balancing multiple priorities
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Collaborative leadership approach
- Organization skills including project management
- Willingness and ability to travel approximately 5% of the time
- Ability to undergo a driving record check
- M.S. Degree in Engineering, Data Science, Math, Statistics and 5+ years of industry experience
- Experience with Hadoop, Hive, Presto, Spark
- Familiarity with data visualization principles
- Experience with GIS
- BI Tool experience (e.g. AWS Quicksight, Tableau)
- Working knowledge of data structures and algorithms
- Working knowledge of telemetry systems and real-time data processing
Benefits and Perks
- Paid health benefits including vision and dental
- Unlimited paid vacation policy and generous holidays
- Significant stock options
- Daily catered lunches and snacks
Want to learn more about our culture & benefits? Check out our website!
May Mobility is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants for employment will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, genetics or any other legally protected basis. Below, you have the opportunity to share your preferred gender pronouns, gender, ethnicity, and veteran status with May Mobility to help us identify areas of improvement in our hiring and recruitment processes. Completion of these questions is entirely voluntary. Any information you choose to provide will be kept confidential, and will not impact the hiring decision in any way. If you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: May Mobility does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, May Mobility does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Nice to move you