Flight Test Engineer Intern - Fall
Located in Northern California, the Joby Aviation team has been steadily working toward our goal of providing safe, affordable, fully electric air transportation that is accessible to everyone. Imagine an air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly and quickly carries you over the congestion below, giving you back that time you’d otherwise spend sitting in traffic. Technology has advanced to the point where designing and operating an all-electric aircraft is completely viable. Our team has been discreetly designing and flight testing this vehicle and is looking for talented individuals to see it through certification and high rate production.
Joby Aviation is seeking passionate and driven interns to join our flight test team. This role requires a willingness to learn and develop a range of knowledge and skills that includes developing flight test plans and reports for experimental CTOL/VTOL fly-by-wire aircraft, executing testing in a ground control station environment, test data analysis, flight test simulator development, and all other tasks related to development and certification flight test activities. A can-do attitude is a must for this fast-paced environment in which every team member relies on each other to perform to their highest potential. Previous experience with flight test activities is desirable. Near-term flight testing is planned to be conducted from a remote location, so applicants must be willing to spend regular time away from home.
Note that responsibilities may include some or all of the following:
- Support the flight test team in a range of technical and administrative roles with flight test planning, flight readiness reviews, flight briefs/debriefs and post flight analysis
- Participate in experimental flight testing as a crew member in the ground control station, or in test support functions
- Perform simulator evaluations, development, and experimentation with and without pilot-in-the-loop
- Help develop manuals and supporting documentation necessary to operate the vehicles
- Complete all required documentation in accordance with established company and FAA procedures
- Responsible for observing all laws, regulations, and other applicable obligations wherever and whenever business is conducted on behalf of the Company
- Expected to work in a safe manner in accordance with established operating procedures and practices
- Other duties as assigned or required
- Availalbe for an internship during the months of August 2022 through December 2022
- Has completed or is pursuing a Bachelor of Science in Aerospace, Mechanical, or Electrical Engineering (or equivalent)
- Excellent computer skills – proficiency with day-to-day applications used for email, word processing, etc., as well as data analysis experience using Matlab, Python, or similar
- Excellent interpersonal skills to effectively communicate with colleagues across a wide range of technical disciplines
- Must be able to work both independently and on a team, work extended hours, and travel as required
- Read and speak English proficiently
- Pursuant to various local, state, and federal regulations, you must show proof of your full COVID-19 vaccination status prior to your start date. Exemption requests are available for bona fide religious and medical circumstances.
- Previous experimental flight test experience, preferably eVTOL or UAS-related
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing