Manufacturing Engineer - Additive
Located in Northern California, the Joby Aviation team is steadily working toward our goal of creating an affordable, all-electric air transportation system. Imagine an air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly and quickly carries you over the traffic congestion below, giving you back the time that otherwise would have spent sitting in traffic. Since 2009, our team has been making this dream a reality, designing and flight testing a prototype aircraft capable of serving in a network of electric air taxis. We’re looking for talented individuals to join our team as we push onwards toward certifying the aircraft with the Federal Aviation Administration and preparing for commercialization with launch targeted in select markets for 2024.
Joby Aviation is seeking a passionate manufacturing engineer to join our engineering team with a focus on design and optimization for additive manufacturing. This role will work across teams, such as Airframe, Powertrain, Manufacturing, and Quality, to translate designs from concept to their physical additive embodiment across both prototyping and production scales. Candidate should be a self-starter with strong communication skills and possess a deep understanding of the additive process and the design freedoms and challenges that come with it.
- Collaborate with design engineers to bring aircraft parts from design to production, serving as an additive design subject-matter-expert to incorporate Design for Additive Manufacturing (DfAM) principles and define appropriate drawing requirements
- Bring the parts from 3D CAD data through simulation, compensation, support, and build preparation into production
- Document and communicate procedures, results, and feedback to mature the additive design process, including leading all aspects of DfAM trainings and technical drawing reviews
- Recognize and execute opportunities to revise existing geometries and build file to increase repeatability and productivity
- Work across the engineering and manufacturing teams to identify new additive applications and facilitate their adoption
- Stay up to date with design methodologies, additive technologies, and industry capabilities and trends
- B.S. in Mechanical, Aerospace, Materials Engineering, or other relevant discipline
- 5+ years of relevant experience
- Proficiency with at least one computer aided design (CAD) software and print preparation software (Magics, Netfabb or equivalent)
- Fluency in geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (GD&T)
- Documented experience in optimizing parts for additive production and strong working knowledge of design for additive manufacturing principles
- Knowledge of metal and polymer additive manufacturing processes
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with the strong follow through to meet deadlines
- Strong verbal and written communication and ability to develop cross-organization partnerships
- Advanced degree in in Mechanical, Aerospace, Materials Engineering, or other relevant discipline
- Familiarity with post processing techniques for additively manufactured parts
- Experience in controlled/certified environments (AS9100 or ISO9000)
- Knowledge of AM part quality and process controls and inspection methodologies
- Experience with generative design tools or simulation software
- Demonstrated experience managing external vendors and supply chains
Pursuant to various local, state, and federal regulations, you must show proof of your full COVID-19 vaccination status prior to your start date. Exemption requests are available for bona fide religious and medical circumstances.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing