Ground Support Equipment Mechanical Engineer
Located in Northern California, the Joby Aviation team is steadily working toward our goal of creating an affordable, all-electric air transportation system. Imagine an air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly and quickly carries you over the traffic congestion below, giving you back the time that otherwise would have spent sitting in traffic. Since 2009, our team has been making this dream a reality, designing and flight testing a prototype aircraft capable of serving in a network of electric air taxis. We’re looking for talented individuals to join our team as we push onwards toward certifying the aircraft with the Federal Aviation Administration and preparing for commercialization with launch targeted in select markets for 2024.
Joby Aviation is seeking a highly organized, passionate individual to join our Ground Support Equipment Team. As part of this team, you will be working on the development of charging and thermal conditioning systems for VTOL electric aircraft. Work will include the design of ground support subsystems, assemblies, and the detailed design and testing of the containing components. The projects will be dynamic, fast paced, and well-funded.
- Mechanical design of ground-based liquid thermal conditioning system for battery-electric aircraft.
- Packaging power electronics and associated control circuitry into charging equipment in collaboration with cross functional engineering teams and external vendors.
- Draft P&IDs, manufacturing drawings, BOMs, and assembly instructions for the above projects.
- Procure hardware from suppliers, and coordinate manufacturing with internal and external machine shops.
- Coordinate testing program to validate that design objectives have been met.
- B.S. degree or equivalent in Mechanical Engineering or a closely related discipline
- Strong problem-solving skills and engineering fundamentals.
- Strong communication and social skills. The ability to work with many different people and manage working relationships. Ability to communicate complex technical concepts in a clear and efficient manner.
- 2-10 years of work experience in relevant roles with consideration given to recent graduates with strong and relevant capstone and internship project experience
- Demonstrated hands-on prototyping and debugging experience
- Strong proficiency modeling and drafting in a professional CAD package (ie: CATIA, NX, Solidworks)
- Experience designing electronics enclosures and mechanical machinery for low to medium volume production.
- Pursuant to various local, state, and federal regulations, you must show proof of your full COVID-19 vaccination status prior to your start date. Exemption requests are available for bona fide religious and medical circumstances.
Perks of the job
- Work with a highly skilled and motivated engineering team.
- Use the latest tools and technologies.
- Be part of a project that has the potential to improve the world.
- Free pilot ground school and the potential for subsidized flight school air time.
- Free onsite meals. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
Pursuant to various local, state, and federal regulations, you must show proof of your full COVID-19 vaccination status prior to your start date. Exemption requests are available for bona fide religious and medical circumstances.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing