Located in Northern California, the Joby Aviation team is steadily working toward our goal of creating an affordable, all-electric air transportation system. Imagine an air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly and quickly carries you over the traffic congestion below, giving you back the time that otherwise would have spent sitting in traffic. Since 2009, our team has been making this dream a reality, designing and flight testing a prototype aircraft capable of serving in a network of electric air taxis. We’re looking for talented individuals to join our team as we push onwards toward certifying the aircraft with the Federal Aviation Administration and preparing for commercialization with launch targeted in select markets for 2024.
The Maintenance Engineer will support aircraft development through certification and into service, by generating and reviewing maintenance content, interfacing with other departments, and developing and implementing a maintenance program. The Maintenance Engineer role will report functionally to the Maintenance Engineering Lead. The most important traits at Joby are attitude towards the project, hard work ethic, and being able to self-manage and learn new skills. Forward thinking will be highly regarded as well.
It is expected the person in this role will:
- Coordinate closely with engineering and operations teams to develop maintenance programs for new aircraft projects
- Implement a program for developing maintenance tasks and intervals for certification and company maintenance requirements identified through System Safety Assessments, Zonal Safety Assessments, and other design verification activities
- Work very closely with systems, safety, and design engineers and flight test to develop detailed maintenance procedures and ensure maintenance-related assumptions and interfaces are valid
- Generate and manage complex sets of maintenance related requirements through the entire development life cycle, including safety-derived maintenance requirements to ensure regulatory compliance is met
- Conduct engineering analysis to support maintenance program deliverables and determine appropriate maintenance tasks and intervals
- Develop maintenance program tasks and intervals using the Maintenance Steering Group (MSG-3) methodology
- Provide design-for-maintainability guidance and input to design engineering teams
- Review system and structural designs, regulatory and operator requirements, reliability and safety assessments, performance parameters, and test results to recommend maintenance actions in order to mitigate failures in operations
- Develop content for Aircraft and Component Maintenance Manuals, Master Minimum Equipment Lists, and training materials
- Support entry into service readiness and continued operational safety as required
The following skills and attributes are required for this position:
- Able to analyze safety, reliability, and operational data and engineering specifications to perform detailed maintenance analyses and assessments
- Able to build and maintain a strong knowledge of engineering designs for electric vertical takeoff and landing aircraft, including airframe structures, equipment and furnishings, mechanical systems, avionics and electrical systems, and flight control and propulsion systems
- Has previous understanding of normal category aircraft and their systems, airplanes and/or rotorcraft
- Able to think creatively towards meeting airworthiness requirements and company objectives
- Able to create, read, and review technical schematics and engineering drawings and specifications
- Must be able to think analytically and objectively
- Has excellent problem solving, communication, coordination, and technical writing skills
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering or related technical discipline; Electrical, Mechanical, Aerospace, or Systems Engineering preferred
- Proficient in English
- Proficient with Microsoft Office and Google Docs
The following skills and attributes are highly desired for this position.
- Previous airline, corporate, or military maintenance organization experience
- Experience implementing a maintenance program for a new aircraft entry into service
- Licensed Aviation Maintenance Technician or Aviation Maintenance Engineer
- Has a working knowledge of Advisory Circular 43.13-1B
- 3+ years of aviation or defense industry experience
- Private pilot certificate or higher
- Master’s degree in related field
- Familiar with Dassault Systemes engineering and management tools
Pursuant to various local, state, and federal regulations, you must show proof of your full COVID-19 vaccination status prior to your start date. Exemption requests are available for bona fide religious and medical circumstances.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing