Flight Test Engineer
Located in Northern California, the Joby Aviation team is steadily working toward our goal of creating an affordable, all-electric air transportation system. Imagine an air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly and quickly carries you over the traffic congestion below, giving you back the time that otherwise would have spent sitting in traffic. Since 2009, our team has been making this dream a reality, designing and flight testing a prototype aircraft capable of serving in a network of electric air taxis. We’re looking for talented individuals to join our team as we push onwards toward certifying the aircraft with the Federal Aviation Administration and preparing for commercialization with launch targeted in select markets for 2024.
Joby Aviation is seeking a passionate and driven Flight Test Engineer to join our flight test team. This role requires a wide range of knowledge and skill that includes developing detailed flight test plans for experimental CTOL/VTOL fly-by-wire aircraft, executing testing as a ground control station crewmember, and test data analysis. The role involves planning and execution of both development and certification flight testing. Flight testing at Joby Aviation is very fast-paced, and we are looking for an individual who can work with system designers to develop test procedures, deal with frequently changing test scenarios, and lead/follow effectively. Previous experience and/or training as a Flight Test Engineer is desired. Near-term flight testing is planned to be conducted from a remote location; applicants must be willing to spend time away from home. Flight Analyst DER or AR qualification is desired.
- Develop test programs to strategically expand the envelope and capabilities of our vehicles from experimental development through certification flight test
- Perform flight test planning, flight readiness reviews, flight briefs/debriefs, act as a crewmember during test execution and perform post flight data analysis
- Complete documentation in accordance with established company and FAA procedures
- Work with our simulation team to expand our flight simulator capability and fidelity
- May perform launch and recovery tasks of aircraft which include ground operations, preflight items, ground observer responsibilities, and post flight items
- May help develop flight manuals and supporting documentation necessary to operate the vehicles
- Responsible for observing all laws, regulations and other applicable obligations wherever and whenever business is conducted on behalf of the Company
- Expected to work in a safe manner in accordance with established operating procedures and practices
- Other duties as assigned or required
- Bachelors of Science in Engineering (Aerospace, Mechanical or Electrical Engineering preferred) degree or equivalent experience and training
- Excellent computer skills – proficiency with day to day applications used for email, word processing, etc, as well as data analysis experience using Matlab, Python, or similar
- Excellent interpersonal skills to effectively communicate with colleagues across a wide range of technical disciplines
- Must be able to work both independently and on a team and be able to work extended hours and travel as required
- Read and speak English proficiently
- Pursuant to various local, state, and federal regulations, you must show proof of your full COVID-19 vaccination status prior to your start date. Exemption requests are available for bona fide religious and medical circumstances
- FTE graduate of a recognized test pilot school, or equivalent on the job learning experience.
- Experimental flight test experience as a Flight Test Engineer, preferably including VTOL or STOVL flight test, and/or in a civil certification environment
- Fixed Wing and / or Rotorcraft Private Pilot License
- Data analysis experience using Matlab, Python or similar
- Strong technical and analytical skills
- Experience of envelope expansion flight testing
- Flight Analyst DER or AR
- Strong Electrical Engineering fundamentals
Pursuant to various local, state, and federal regulations, you must show proof of your full COVID-19 vaccination status prior to your start date. Exemption requests are available for bona fide religious and medical circumstances.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing