Software Engineer, Flight Systems
Located in Northern California, the Joby Aviation team is steadily working toward our goal of creating an affordable, all-electric air transportation system. Imagine an air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly and quickly carries you over the traffic congestion below, giving you back the time that otherwise would have spent sitting in traffic. Since 2009, our team has been making this dream a reality, designing and flight testing a prototype aircraft capable of serving in a network of electric air taxis. We’re looking for talented individuals to join our team as we push onwards toward certifying the aircraft with the Federal Aviation Administration and preparing for commercialization with launch targeted in select markets for 2024.
This engineer will play a key role in a small, fast-moving team and participate in architecture design and implementation for our electric-powered, fly-by-wire aircraft. This engineer will work closely with the hardware, mechanical, integration, and flight-testing teams to design, develop, test and improve system-level behaviors. An understanding of embedded applications will be used to write multithreaded C++ code that is appropriate to our fly-by-wire aircraft.
We are looking for a talented Software Engineer with exceptional C++ skills to work on our core flight framework that flies our aircraft! This is the framework that powers all the software systems on the aircraft. The successful candidate will be designing clean C++ APIs used by all of the numerous computers on the aircraft and will also be improving the distributed computing framework used by all the computers. Additionally, you will work with system engineers to decompose equipment-level requirements into high-level and low-level software requirements in compliance with DO-178C. You will design, implement, and test flight-critical software components with C++ as well as integrate these into the larger system.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or computer engineering and 5+ years of full-time experience or a Masters and 3+ years industry experience.
- Expert knowledge of object-oriented programming methodology, multi-layered system architectures, and creating clean APIs
- Expert knowledge of creating APIs that are independent of the OS (operating system)
- Expert knowledge of C++
- Expert knowledge of multi-threaded systems
- Expert knowledge of distributed computing frameworks/IPC
- Demonstratable proficiency in other SW languages such as: Python, C#, C, SQL
- Experience with modern integrated development environments and debuggers
- Basic understanding of git version control
- Ability to work inside of a team
- Experience with or knowledge of DO-178B/C, particularly writing low-level requirements
- A Positive attitude and a passion for Aerospace!
- Willingness to be flexible and learn new technologies
Pursuant to various local, state, and federal regulations, you must show proof of your full COVID-19 vaccination status prior to your start date. Exemption requests are available for bona fide religious and medical circumstances.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing