Electromechanical Design Engineer
Located in Northern California, the Joby Aviation team is steadily working toward our goal of creating an affordable, all-electric air transportation system. Imagine an air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly and quickly carries you over the traffic congestion below, giving you back the time that otherwise would have spent sitting in traffic. Since 2009, our team has been making this dream a reality, designing and flight testing a prototype aircraft capable of serving in a network of electric air taxis. We’re looking for talented individuals to join our team as we push onwards toward certifying the aircraft with the Federal Aviation Administration and preparing for commercialization with launch targeted in select markets for 2024.
Joby Aviation is seeking a passionate mechanical engineer to join our team with a focus in Electrical Wiring Interconnection Systems (EWIS), working with electrical, manufacturing, and structural engineers to meet design requirements for functionality, manufacturability, integration, inspectability, and maintenance. The engineer will be responsible for designing flight critical wire harness assemblies and electromechanical interconnection systems, as well as creating test plans to characterize, qualify, and validate those designs.
The most important traits at Joby are attitude toward the project, hard work ethic, and being able to self-manage and learn new skills. Forward thinking is highly regarded as well.
With direction from the EWIS team lead:
- Design electromechanical solutions to integrate systems across the aircraft
- Provide solutions to support and protect integrated systems
- Select and source materials, coordinating with vendors
- Drive engineering BOM created from PLM solution
- Plan acceptance and qualification tests with test engineers
- B.S. in electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, or other relevant discipline
- Quick-learner, creative, organized, and self-driven
- Excellent problem solving and teamwork skills, working with many people and teams
- Able to read and review technical schematics and engineering drawings and specifications
- Experience with hands-on design, prototyping, and testing
- Proficiency with CAD, such as Catia, Pro/E, SolidWorks, etc.
- M.S. in electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, or other relevant discipline
- 3+ years of working experience in relevant industry
- Understanding of ERP/MRP/PLM solutions
- Experience with Catia, specifically using Electrical 3D Design, Electrical 3D Part Design, Electrical Manufacturing Preparation, Assembly Design, Part Design, and Generative Shape Design
Compensation at Joby is a combination of base pay and Restricted Stock Units (RSUs). The target base pay for this position is $82,400-$136,700/year. The compensation package will be determined by job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
Joby also offers a comprehensive benefits package, including paid time off, healthcare benefits, a 401(k) plan with a company match, an employee stock purchase plan (ESPP), short-term and long-term disability coverage, life insurance, and more.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing