Materials Technician - Additive
Located in Northern California, the Joby Aviation team is steadily working toward our goal of creating an affordable, all-electric air transportation system. Imagine an air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly and quickly carries you over the traffic congestion below, giving you back the time that otherwise would have spent sitting in traffic. Since 2009, our team has been making this dream a reality, designing and flight testing a prototype aircraft capable of serving in a network of electric air taxis. We’re looking for talented individuals to join our team as we push onwards toward certifying the aircraft with the Federal Aviation Administration and preparing for commercialization with launch targeted in select markets for 2024.
Joby Aviation is seeking a motivated individual to join our Additive Engineering team as a Materials Technician. This role will be responsible for the materials characterization of metals, in both powder and consolidated form, throughout the additive manufacturing process. The materials technician will conduct and document materials testing through established work instructions. You should be meticulous and organized, as this role will entail processing a high volume of samples weekly. You will play a direct part in the materials qualification effort leading to the development, certification, and production of eVTOL aircraft.
- Setup and conduct material testing per industry standards (ASTM) and internal standard operating procedures
- Perform routine sample preparation (including sectioning, mounting, grinding, polishing, etching, etc.) for metallurgical evaluation
- Operate and maintain test fixtures and other laboratory equipment to ensure proper working order with little supervision
- Document results and perform basic analysis while maintaining records and samples for traceability
- Maintain a clean, safe, and organized lab environment
- High school diploma or equivalent
- 2+ years experience in an industrial, laboratory, or similar environment
- Hands-on attitude, detail-oriented work habits, and a strong ability to work independently and as part of a larger team
- Excellent verbal and written communication and comprehension skills
- Efficient time and workflow management to process a high volume of samples across multiple tests methods
- Ability to operate and maintain a variety of precision instrumentation and test tools
- Ability to perform physical work and stand for at least 8 hours a day and lift heavy items up to 40 pounds unassisted
- Working knowledge of laboratory/manufacturing safety
- Basic computer proficiency including Windows and office Software
- BS in Mechanical Engineering, Materials Science, or another relevant discipline
- 5+ years experience in test laboratory or aerospace fabrication
- Experience with material characterization of metals, including physical, chemical and mechanical testing
Pursuant to various local, state, and federal regulations, you must show proof of your full COVID-19 vaccination status prior to your start date. Exemption requests are available for bona fide religious and medical circumstances.
Joby Aviation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing