Technical Program Manager, Flight Control Actuation
Located in Northern California, the Joby Aviation team is steadily working toward our goal of creating an affordable, all-electric air transportation system. Imagine an air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly and quickly carries you over the traffic congestion below, giving you back the time that otherwise would have spent sitting in traffic. Since 2009, our team has been making this dream a reality, designing and flight testing a prototype aircraft capable of serving in a network of electric air taxis. We’re looking for talented individuals to join our team as we push onwards toward certifying the aircraft with the Federal Aviation Administration and preparing for commercialization with launch targeted in select markets for 2024.
Joby Aviation is seeking a passionate Technical Program Manager to join our Program Management team with a focus in flight control actuation, schedule development and engineering project management from prototyping through FAA Type Certification and on to manufacturing introduction. The position will be in our Santa Cruz, CA location, and will actively work with various teams at Joby Aviation, including the Integrated Flight & Propulsion IPT, actuation design, methods and allowables, systems engineering, system safety, manufacturing, supply chain, integration and test, certification and more. This role will operate in a fast paced, demanding, and rewarding environment with high expectations for individual contribution.
The Technical Program Manager, Flight Control Actuation will be responsible for systems related to:
- Control Surface Actuation
- Propeller Pitch Actuation
- Propulsion Station Tilt Actuation
- Actuation Mechanisms
- Responsible for execution of the program plan for the Flight Control Actuation system per the requirements of Joby Product Development Processes
- Work closely with actuation team to develop and maintain hardware project timeline towards aircraft type certification and manufacturing introduction
- Directly support Actuation Integrated Product Team (IPT) lead in working through and solving technical challenges and risks
- Coordinate cost, schedule and technical issue and risk resolution
- Coordinate with suppliers and as needed, interfacing with legal, shipping, quality, and other Joby support organizations
- Collaborate with program teams to define scope of work to development and update system schedules, resource information, and identification of variances from the baseline records
- Evaluate project schedule progress and performance and identify developing problem areas
- Analyze critical path and constraints to determine effect of changes to schedule and recommend work-around
- Conduct multi-disciplinary program reviews throughout the different phases of development, certification, and production readiness as required to coordinate and communicate system design projects
- Support program management team by implementing schedule changes into the Integrated Master Schedule (IMS), maintaining timely and effective change management processes and procedures
- Conduct analysis to determine alternative courses of action or recovery on slipped schedules
- Present and report on System status to the aircraft Program Manager and Chief Engineer
- Facilitate implementation of new processes and improvements
- Monitor work and remove impediments to progress
- Facilitate communication, discussion, decision making, and conflict resolution
- Be flexible
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or relevant field
- 5+ years of experience in an actuation engineering environment with responsibility for project coordination and management
- Experience with FAA certification processes
- Expertise in project management tools such as Microsoft Project, Confluence and JIRA
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.
- Demonstrated organizational skills and attention to detail
- Demonstrated experience in the simultaneous management of multiple high-paced engineering projects
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written
- Good skills and knowledge of facilitation, situational awareness, conflict resolution, continual improvement, empowerment, and increasing transparency
- 10+ years of experience with aircraft Type Certification in an engineering environment
- Experience in the design and certification of composite airframe structures
- Basic knowledge of 2X.1309 analyses and processes, including Advisory Circular 23.1309-1E, SAE ARP 4761, and SAE ARP 4754A
- Basic knowledge of FAA regulations and guidance material and industry standards
Pursuant to various local, state, and federal regulations, you must show proof of your full COVID-19 vaccination status prior to your start date. Exemption requests are available for bona fide religious and medical circumstances.
Joby Aviation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing