Director of Manufacturing Engineering and New Product Introduction
Ready to join our team to revolutionize commercial aviation? In this role, you will build a team of engineers and technicians responsible for turning our engineering products to manufacturing. This includes building new manufacturing environments, establishing the manufacturing lines using modern methods of automation, and following best practices within LEAN and quality. You and your new team will work closely with our development engineers and the operations teams. This is your opportunity to build a world-class manufacturing environment to set the operational standards used to decarbonize aviation in the near future.
About the Role
- Establish a team of manufacturing engineers, industrial designers, test and quality engineers to build the manufacturing/supply chain competency center for all new product development activities related to our powertrain, hydrogen modules, and aircraft conversion.
- Design future production lines for new products as part of the development projects based on automation and lean manufacturing best practices.
- Ensure that the manufacturing setup follows high-quality standards to meet aviation expectations.
- Responsible for facility construction projects/expansion projects.
- Oversee production operations IT (production tracking, traceability) and linking it up to the ERP system.
- Proven experience in industrial operations and new product introduction functions (introduce new products into manufacturing).
- Demonstrated ability to design production lines for high-tech products that must meet a high-quality level and be competitive on cost.
- Experience with building expansions and new manufacturing construction with automation and lean manufacturing concepts in mind.
- Engineering (industrial design, manufacturing engineering, or similar) and advanced business education or similar experience are preferred.
- Proven leadership experience and effective interpersonal skills as you will work across several functions in Universal Hydrogen.
- Ability to work between our locations in Los Angeles, CA, and our future expansion in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
At Universal Hydrogen, our mission is to fuel carbon-free flight and reduce the climate impact of air travel. We are stitching together the end-to-end hydrogen value chain for aviation, both for hydrogen fuel and hydrogen-powered airplanes. We are building a transport and logistics network that moves hydrogen from production facilities to airports over the existing freight infrastructure, eliminating the need for costly new pipelines and storage facilities. Our system utilizes specialized capsules that safely store hydrogen during transit and also act as modular fuel tanks that load directly onto aircraft. We are also developing powertrain conversion kits to retrofit existing airplanes and enable new airplanes to fly on hydrogen. Founded by former executives from Airbus, United Technologies, Google, and DARPA, and backed by investors such as Playground Global, JetBlue, Toyota, and Airbus, we are convinced that hydrogen is the best and only scalable solution to truly decarbonize aviation, and we want to bring it to market decades sooner—by 2025.
We strive for a culture that is empowered, collaborative, open, and human-centered. We are driven by a sense of urgency to address climate change through the near-term decarbonization of commercial aviation. We recognize that people have a diverse set of preferences for work conditions and hours that optimize for their overall productivity and wellness, and both our cloud-based IT setup and remote work policy reflects this. However, because we are building physical products, most roles will require working at our facility at Hawthorne Airport in Los Angeles most of the time.
Our compensation and benefits package promotes transparency, equitability, and long-term employee well-being, while rewarding individual and team performance. This includes cash bonuses and significant equity participation for all salaried employees, employer-paid health insurance coverage, generous parental leave, a pet-friendly headquarters located at Hawthorne Airport in Los Angeles, and generous paid time off. As a young company, we are actively working to expand the benefits we provide—including childcare, retirement, parental, and mental health benefits—and we’re always open to feedback on what’s most important to you.
We know that no two candidates are the same, and we want to give you the opportunity to present yourself in the best way possible. Don’t hesitate to let us know how we can support a great recruitment process for you—whether that includes off-hours interview scheduling, captioning/transcription services, or other accommodations. Needless to say, we value diversity in all its forms, and encourage people from all backgrounds to apply, especially if you share in our mission to decarbonize air travel.
Please note that for the health and safety of our employees, we require all employees to provide proof of up-to-date COVID-19 vaccinations and booster as recommended by the CDC (or a valid exemption).
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Fueling Carbon-Free Flight