Director of Hydrogen Network Design & Analysis
This role will be responsible for techno-economic analysis of our hydrogen delivery network based on modular hydrogen capsules. Your mission will be to optimize the entire end-to-end hydrogen value chain through a series of interconnected trade studies, derive requirements for each segment of the value chain, and maintain a techno-economic model of the entire system-of-systems. You will work across multiple functional areas and geographies, and you will need to build and manage a team to support you. This is an incredible opportunity to impact the future of carbon-free aviation and develop a sophisticated, holistic view of the entire hydrogen delivery network.
About the Role
- Build a hydrogen network design & analysis function capable of driving end-to-end business requirements management.
- Analyze and optimize the end to end transport system efficiency to maximize the competitiveness of hydrogen fuel at overall system level (find global vs local optimum solutions).
- Develop and deploy System Engineering methodology to drive optimization at the transport system level and derive and cascade requirements at product level.
- Develop and maintain a ‘system of systems model’ and cascade requirements to optimize the hydrogen network and enable end-to-end trade studies.
- Analyze each step of the value chain from green electrons to hydrogen onboard the aircrafts (and returning the empty modules):
- Identify target costs (CAPEX/OPEX) for each step in the value chain.
- Identify sensitivities propagation in the value chain.
- Identify key features/characteristics for each step in the value chain (design for quality & safety, transport, certification & permitting etc).
- Collaborate with a multidisciplinary engineering team to identify and conduct trade studies at a transport system level to optimize the business case for hydrogen to reach fossil fuel parity by 2025.
- Build customer-specific business cases to provide sales and operations with the cost of zero-emission hydrogen aviation as well as other models and simulation tools.
- Experience with transportation and logistics network optimization, ideally for fuels, industrial gases, or maybe even for hydrogen specifically.
- Strong engineering background and analytical skills to see the big picture and drive engineers towards a globally optimized transport system.
- Strong analytical skills at all levels from developing abstract models to very hands-on business cases.
- Strong knowledge of system engineering methodology.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to collaborate cross-functionally with team members in various time zones.
- Able to work internationally between our locations in Los Angeles, CA and Toulouse, FR.
At Universal Hydrogen, our mission is to fuel carbon-free flight and reduce the climate impact of air travel. We are stitching together the end-to-end hydrogen value chain for aviation, both for hydrogen fuel and hydrogen-powered airplanes. We are building a transport and logistics network that moves hydrogen from production facilities to airports over the existing freight infrastructure, eliminating the need for costly new pipelines and storage facilities. Our system utilizes specialized capsules that safely store hydrogen during transit and act as modular fuel tanks that load directly onto aircraft. We are also developing powertrain conversion kits to retrofit existing airplanes and enable new airplanes to fly on hydrogen. Founded by former executives from Airbus, United Technologies, Google, and DARPA, and backed by investors such as Playground Global, Tencent, Toyota, GE, JetBlue, and Airbus, we are convinced that hydrogen is the best and only scalable solution to truly decarbonize aviation, and we want to bring it to market decades sooner—by 2025.
We strive for a workplace that is open, friendly, and fun, while valuing focus, urgency, camaraderie, and maverick behavior in accomplishing our mission. We recognize that people have a diverse set of preferences for work conditions and hours that optimize their overall productivity and wellness, and both our cloud-based IT setup and flexible work policy reflect this. However, because we are building physical products, most roles will require working at our facility at Hawthorne Airport in Los Angeles or at Toulouse-Blagnac Airport in Toulouse most of the time.
Our compensation and benefits package promotes transparency, equitability, and long-term employee well-being, while rewarding individual and team performance. This includes a significant variable pay component in the cash compensation, equity participation for all employees, 100% coverage of healthcare costs, and dog-friendly offices. As a young company, we are continually expanding our benefits, striving to provide our employees with the support they need to be their best both in and outside of the office. In the next few months, we are rolling out childcare support, catered meals, green mobility support, and private pilot (PPL) training—and we’re always open to feedback on what’s most important to you!
We know that no two candidates are the same, and we want to give you the opportunity to present yourself in the best way possible. Don’t hesitate to let us know how we can support a great recruitment process for you—whether that includes off-hours interview scheduling, captioning/transcription services, or other accommodations. We value diversity in all its forms, and encourage people from all backgrounds to apply, especially if you share in our mission to decarbonize air travel.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Fueling Carbon-Free Flight