Head of ATR Powertrain Integration
With the stagnancy of the aerospace industry, Universal Hydrogen is taking the necessary steps to provide a cleaner alternative to the world. Bringing to market an ATR-72 powered by our hydrogen fuel cells and electric powertrain is our plan to do just that. This is where you, as the Head of ATR Powertrain Integration, come in. You will lead the development and integration of our revolutionary technology using your systems thinking and passion for people leadership.
About the Role
- Spearhead the integration of our 2MW hydrogen fuel cell aircraft powertrain system into the ATR aircraft through development to entry-into-service, by leading its development, certification, and manufacturing scale-up.
- Lead a multi-functional team tasked with building the prototype powertrain installations and delivering results to enable the certification process.
- Engage with suppliers and partners to identify and resolve development, industrial, and supply chain challenges.
- Lead and participate in system and hardware design and safety reviews.
- Previous experience leading teams in the development of integrating complex subsystems into an overarching system.
- Demonstrated proficiency in systems thinking, e.g., ability to leverage how the system, environment, and operation will influence the design, manufacturability, and performance of equipment under consideration.
- Ability to articulate technical subject matters with engineers and regulatory agencies.
- Flexibility and responsiveness in a fast-paced, dynamic, small team environment.
- Understanding of industry regulations and experience leading aircraft systems through the certification process.
At Universal Hydrogen, our mission is to fuel carbon-free flight and reduce the climate impact of air travel. We are stitching together the end-to-end hydrogen value chain for aviation, both for hydrogen fuel and hydrogen-powered airplanes. We are building a transport and logistics network that moves hydrogen from production facilities to airports over the existing freight infrastructure, eliminating the need for costly new pipelines and storage facilities. Our system utilizes specialized capsules that safely store hydrogen during transit and act as modular fuel tanks that load directly onto aircraft. We are also developing powertrain conversion kits to retrofit existing airplanes and enable new airplanes to fly on hydrogen. Founded by former executives from Airbus, United Technologies, Google, and DARPA, and backed by investors such as Playground Global, Tencent, Toyota, GE, JetBlue, and Airbus, we are convinced that hydrogen is the best and only scalable solution to truly decarbonize aviation, and we want to bring it to market decades sooner—by 2025.
We strive for a workplace that is open, friendly, and fun, while valuing focus, urgency, camaraderie, and maverick behavior in accomplishing our mission. We recognize that people have a diverse set of preferences for work conditions and hours that optimize their overall productivity and wellness, and both our cloud-based IT setup and flexible work policy reflect this. However, because we are building physical products, most roles will require working at our facility at Hawthorne Airport in Los Angeles or at Toulouse-Blagnac Airport in Toulouse most of the time.
Our compensation and benefits package promotes transparency, equitability, and long-term employee well-being, while rewarding individual and team performance. This includes a significant variable pay component in the cash compensation, equity participation for all employees, 100% coverage of healthcare costs, and dog-friendly offices. As a young company, we are continually expanding our benefits, striving to provide our employees with the support they need to be their best both in and outside of the office. In the next few months, we are rolling out childcare support, catered meals, green mobility support, and private pilot (PPL) training—and we’re always open to feedback on what’s most important to you!
We know that no two candidates are the same, and we want to give you the opportunity to present yourself in the best way possible. Don’t hesitate to let us know how we can support a great recruitment process for you—whether that includes off-hours interview scheduling, captioning/transcription services, or other accommodations. We value diversity in all its forms, and encourage people from all backgrounds to apply, especially if you share in our mission to decarbonize air travel.
Please note that for the health and safety of our employees, we require all employees to provide proof of up-to-date COVID-19 vaccinations as recommended by the CDC (or a valid exemption).
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Fueling Carbon-Free Flight