Senior Engineer, Advanced Concepts
We are seeking a Senior Engineer, Advanced Concepts to join our rapidly growing team developing state-of-the-art modular hydrogen capsule technology and a fuel cell-electric powertrain for the world’s first zero-emissions regional airliner. You will be part of a team pioneering the integration of new technologies including hydrogen fuel cells and high-voltage, megawatt-class electric motors for the first time in commercial aviation. Your role, working directly with our multidisciplinary engineering team, will be to analyze and develop exciting future N+1 and N+2 applications of UH2’s technology beyond the initial application to regional aircraft. This is an opportunity to bring your imagination and vision to the future potential of hydrogen as a means of accelerating the decarbonization of the transport industry.
About the Role
- Work directly with advanced concepts, powertrain, hydrogen storage, and strategy teams to develop and promote potential future applications of UH2 technology.
- Engage with potential partners to identify applications for our existing technology in other verticals (e.g., eVTOLs, marine, and ground transportation).
- Develop novel (generation N+1 and N+2) hydrogen storage and propulsion technologies beyond our existing modular capsule technology and fuel cell-electric powertrain.
- Conduct first-principles modeling, data analysis, and performance assessments to evaluate future hydrogen-powered products.
- Industry or research experience in at least one of the following areas: aircraft design, gas turbine propulsion, powertrain development, combustion modeling, or fuel cell vehicles.
- Experience in conceptual design of aircraft (eVTOLs and multirotor aircraft would be a plus).
- Demonstrated proficiency in multi-disciplinary design optimization including building physics and data-based models (Python programming experience preferred).
- Comfortable leading engagements with potential customers and external subject matter experts.
- Flexibility and responsiveness in a fast-paced, dynamic, small team environment.
At Universal Hydrogen, our mission is to fuel carbon-free flight and reduce the climate impact of air travel. We are stitching together the end-to-end hydrogen value chain for aviation, both for hydrogen fuel and hydrogen-powered airplanes. We are building a transport and logistics network that moves hydrogen from production facilities to airports over the existing freight infrastructure, eliminating the need for costly new pipelines and storage facilities. Our system utilizes specialized capsules that safely store hydrogen during transit and also act as modular fuel tanks that load directly onto aircraft. We are also developing powertrain conversion kits to retrofit existing airplanes and enable new airplanes to fly on hydrogen. Founded by former executives from Airbus, United Technologies, Google, and DARPA, and backed by investors such as Playground Global, JetBlue, Toyota, and Airbus, we are convinced that hydrogen is the best and only scalable solution to truly decarbonize aviation, and we want to bring it to market decades sooner—by 2025.
We strive for a culture that is empowered, collaborative, open, and human-centered. We are driven by a sense of urgency to address climate change through the near-term decarbonization of commercial aviation. We recognize that people have a diverse set of preferences for work conditions and hours that optimize for their overall productivity and wellness, and both our cloud-based IT setup and flexible work policy reflects this. However, because we are building physical products, most roles will require working at our facility at Hawthorne Airport in Los Angeles most of the time.
Our compensation and benefits package promotes transparency, equitability, and long-term employee well-being, while rewarding individual and team performance. This includes cash bonuses and significant equity participation for all salaried employees, employer-paid health insurance coverage, generous parental leave, a pet-friendly headquarters located at Hawthorne Airport in Los Angeles, and generous paid time off. As a young company, we are actively working to expand the benefits we provide—including childcare, retirement, parental, and mental health benefits—and we’re always open to feedback on what’s most important to you.
We know that no two candidates are the same, and we want to give you the opportunity to present yourself in the best way possible. Don’t hesitate to let us know how we can support a great recruitment process for you—whether that includes off-hours interview scheduling, captioning/transcription services, or other accommodations. We value diversity in all its forms, and encourage people from all backgrounds to apply, especially if you share in our mission to decarbonize air travel.
Please note that for the health and safety of our employees, we require all employees to provide proof of up-to-date COVID-19 vaccinations as recommended by the CDC (or a valid exemption).
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Fueling Carbon-Free Flight