Senior 3D Graphics Engineer
Tangram Vision is a mission-driven company devoted to empowering all developers to be perception creators. It’s a tall order, but our whole team is experienced in computer vision and has learned what works (and what doesn’t) in the real world. We’re honing that experience into a one-of-a-kind premium perception offering.
Perception is inherently visual. However, conveying perception tasks, results, and workflows in an aesthetic and intuitive way can be a real challenge. As Senior 3D Graphics Engineer, candidates will develop the visual language Tangram Vision will use for translating difficult 3D concepts into workable perception solutions. They will define the user experience for accessing and manipulating 3D data in the Tangram Vision Platform. They will also lead our simulation efforts for sensor and perception data. Candidates should have appreciation for both visual aesthetics and user interaction at all levels.
Starting Salary Range: $100,000 - $130,000 USD
You’ll be a successful candidate if...
- You are passionate about video game design, developer tools, and web applications. You have launched a product in one or more of these areas either independently or as part of a team.
- You like to tinker around in Unity, Unreal Engine, or other visual editors.
- You have designed physical simulations or sensor-based simulations.
- You have a strong design aesthetic.
- You love to explain big ideas with visuals, but can still express yourself in writing.
- You are willing to experiment with design and interaction approaches using stakeholder feedback and encourage stakeholders to give constructive criticism.
- You enjoy cross-discipline collaboration.
- You have exceptional time management, including the ability to manage multiple tasks and projects at once.
- You love to learn and can implement what you’ve absorbed, whether it’s through reading textbooks and/or research papers.
- You have a strong sense of teamwork - you enjoy building positive relationships with colleagues and stakeholders and are willing to help others.
- You believe in inclusivity when working with colleagues with different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives.
Examples of Things You’ll Work On...
- Design, develop, and maintain 3d tools for producing sensor configurations and visualizing multi-sensor datasets
- Create a dataset simulation of LiDAR, camera, RADAR, or other sensor-based readings in a rendered environment
- Design a new 2D or 3D asset or rendering to add to our scene visualizer based on a new platform process
- Run A/B testing on the UI of the Tangram Vision User Hub in order to improve user experience
- Compute change-of-basis transforms for incoming user data that doesn’t follow our internal conventions
- Create extendable web components that can be modified and used throughout our front end
- Create new 2D assets, charts, and graphs for updated documentation
- Write and contribute to our internal and user-facing product documentation
- Contribute to the Tangram Visions blog with relevant, technical content for a robotics and sensor savvy audience
- Craft and maintain your User Manual. User Manuals are documents written by you, about you. They're meant to be easy ways for someone else to get to know you and your working style, so that everyone can better understand one another and collaborate more effectively.
- Communicate and check-in with colleagues. Every proposal, piece of documentation, and prototype is meant to be open, malleable, and collaborative. This lets us do our best work while preserving the best aspects of asynchronous work - focus and time. Even so, live communications are encouraged even if its just to check in on someone’s day.
- You should expect to travel at least 4 weeks out of the year for company retreats, conferences, and trade shows.
- Do your part in keeping our operations running smoothly - submitting PTO requests, observing travel budgets, etc.
- Be open to networking/speaker opportunities on behalf of the company.
- Presentations at local meetups
- Communications inside and outside of Tangram on progress and projects
Must-Have Technical Qualifications
In our experience, people with the below experiences would thrive in this role. Our tech stack is shown in parentheses, where applicable; experience with a specific tool is not required for this role.
- 4 years of professional experience or the equivalent with
- 3D geometry, e.g. pinhole projection, camera matrices, Euclidean transforms, etc.
- 3D graphics engines (Three.js)
- Have experience visualizing large datasets
- Have strong programming foundations (TypeScript, Rust, Python, C++...)
- Have experience developing compelling 2D and 3D user interfaces
- Be comfortable working on Linux and using the command-line
- Proficiency with git
Benefits and other Perks...
We’re a startup, aren't there supposed to be pool tables and stuff? We have an ever-growing list of items that we’re looking to provide, and here’s what we currently offer.
- We value your health and well-being: Tangram Vision covers up to $400 a month of medical plan costs (chances are we have a plan that will be 100% covered for you), and 100% of dental, vision, and ancillary plans (i.e. life insurance, short-term and long-term disability).
- Employees who choose a medical plan with a health savings account (HSA) also receive a $2,000/year HSA contribution
- Staff have an unlimited PTO balance, with a recommended 4 weeks off per year (1 week per quarter).
- Remote First, Fully Connected: Tangram Vision is a fully remote company. We have no corporate office, and our first five employees span four timezones!
- Company retreats every three to four months in fun, unique locations.
- Weekly team-wide calls keep us connected and grounded.
- Open virtual co-working comms every afternoon.
- We understand the importance of financial planning: We offer competitive salaries and equity grants. Employees can choose to adjust their compensation for more/less salary vs. more/less equity.
How to Apply:
- Submit your resume and cover letter
- In your cover letter please include how you heard about this role and why you’re interested in this position, as well as any GitHub projects, portfolios, or deployed projects that support your experience
No phone calls please. Tangram Vision will contact qualified candidates directly.
Tangram Vision provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetics, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression or veteran status. We are committed to establishing a diverse and inclusive workforce and encourage people from all backgrounds, experiences, perspectives, and abilities to apply. We do not discriminate in our hiring practices and in order to build the strongest possible workforce, actively seek a diverse applicant pool.
About Tangram Vision
At Tangram Vision, we’re building a platform of products that help robotics leaders, engineers, and fleet managers understand their perception systems inside and out at scale. By taking the pain out of working with sensors, we enable customers to focus on building solutions in their problem domains, which range from farming and warehouse logistics to autonomous vehicles and construction.
Trust is the backbone of our team. To build trust, we seek to better understand one another through our conversations, our retreats, our User Manuals, and our written viewpoints.
Trust in your choices, and the choices of others, allows Tangram to be a place of context, not control. Information is created deliberately and shared broadly by default (which means we write a lot of documentation). This has helped keep velocity up at a breakneck speed from day 1.
Dissent and Diversity
Though everyone is decision-oriented, we do so through seeking dissent. The more concerns we hear, and the more varied those concerns are, the better our outcomes become. In this way, diversity and inclusion are more than just good civic practices; they’re vital to Tangram’s success. As a startup, we are committed to keeping diversity and inclusion as a principal pillar behind all we do and how we grow.
Your application has been successfully submitted.