Testing – Flight Test Instrumentation Engineer
Located in Northern California, the Joby Aviation team is steadily working toward our goal of creating an affordable, all-electric air transportation system. Imagine an air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly and quickly carries you over the traffic congestion below, giving you back the time that otherwise would have spent sitting in traffic. Since 2009, our team has been making this dream a reality, designing and flight testing a prototype aircraft capable of serving in a network of electric air taxis. We’re looking for talented individuals to join our team as we push onwards toward certifying the aircraft with the Federal Aviation Administration and preparing for commercialization with launch targeted in select markets for 2024.
Joby is seeking an experienced engineer to help develop, improve, and maintain the data acquisition hardware, real time visualization software, and processes for the installation and maintenance of flight test instrumentation for Joby’s VTOL electric aircraft. The Joby Aviation team is made up of extremely talented, hardworking, proactive, and hands-on individuals, operating in a fast-paced and rewarding environment. We are looking to expand this team with like-minded individuals looking to make a mark in the transportation industry.
- Work in a small team to develop and configure hardware and software that allow for the efficient deployment of supplementary flight test instrumentation systems installed onto Joby’s test aircraft.
- Develop processes for the installation of instrumentation hardware across multiple aircraft that allow for configuration control through the life of Joby’s flight test aircraft.
- Using National Instruments LabView and related tools, develop software to create GUIs, LabView VIs and any other necessary tools to enable real time, and post flight data visualization, automated data pipelines, and traceability of calibration information pertaining to each of Joby’s flight test aircraft.
- Incorporate new types of data acquisition instruments into Joby’s flight test instrumentation system and data pipelines.
- Analyze data collected during flights to help improve and maintain the functionality of the instrumentation systems as well as provide quantifiable feedback to the engineering teams that will allow them to understand and optimize their designs.
- Help to guide the architecture of processes and software tools to help smooth the transition from R&D testing into certification flight testing.
Pursuant to various local, state, and federal regulations, you must show proof of your full COVID-19 vaccination status prior to your start date. Exemption requests are available for bona fide religious and medical circumstances.
- B.S. in Engineering or relevant discipline.
- Experience with data acquisition hardware as well as sensors such as foil strain gauges, accelerometers, load cells, thermocouple, encoders, etc. (including sensor installation)
- Fluent using LabVIEW for data collection, real time data analytics, and developing GUIs.
- Experience using Diadem, MATLAB, Python or another scripting language for data post processing
- Experience with digital signal processing and wireless data transmission.
- Excellent problem solving and communication skills
- Hands-on attitude with strong analytical background
- MS/PhD or 5+ years of experience
- Experience working with flight test organizations and aircraft certification
- Experience with sensor installations and cable management
- Experience with NI Hardware specifically cDAQ and c series modules.
- Experience with software development using Python or another scripting language
- Hands-on machine shop skills using lathe, mill, welder, and other machine shop equipment
- Experience with high voltage electronics.
- Experience testing aircraft composite structures.
- Experience testing aircraft mechanical systems.
- Aerospace and rapid prototyping experience
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing