Battery Thermal Engineer
Located in Northern California, the Joby Aviation team is steadily working toward our goal of creating an affordable, all-electric air transportation system. Imagine an air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly and quickly carries you over the traffic congestion below, giving you back the time that otherwise would have spent sitting in traffic. Since 2009, our team has been making this dream a reality, designing and flight testing a prototype aircraft capable of serving in a network of electric air taxis. We’re looking for talented individuals to join our team as we push onwards toward certifying the aircraft with the Federal Aviation Administration and preparing for commercialization with launch targeted in select markets for 2024.
Joby Aviation is seeking a hardworking, innovative, and passionate engineer to help make our designs the safest in the industry. You will be integral to our battery R&D and drive aspects of both battery pack and vehicle designs through thermal analysis and testing. You will engage regularly with all members of the battery team, from cell testing engineers to mechanical engineers, to close the loop on your analyses and integrate learnings into the final product.
- Responsible for both simplified and high-fidelity thermal analyses of Joby’s cell and battery systems for both nominal and abuse modes, including effects to surrounding components during thermal runaway
- Develop analytical and CFD models for cell, module, pack, and supporting components to optimize volumetric and gravimetric densities for both conceptual and existing designs
- Work with cell engineers to characterize and model thermal gradients internal to lithium-ion cells when subject to varying thermal conditions and power profiles
- Perform material selection tradeoff studies and work with R&D engineers to evaluate impact on thermal runaway propagation dynamics
- Hands-on involvement with designing and procuring subscale test setups/equipment and process the output data to present data-driven insights
- Experience with STAR-CCM or other CFD software applied to battery design and/or lithium-ion cell analysis
- Strong problem-solving mindset and knowledgeable in mechanical, thermal, and electrical systems
- Eager to get hands dirty and work with team-members on all levels of test execution, from planning to final cleanup
- Great written, verbal, and presentation skills
- MS of PhD Degree in Mechanical Engineering or related fields with strong fundamentals in heat transfer
- Familiarity with CAD packages (CATIA preferred) and design experience
- Python or other scripting language for data processing and visualization,
- Experience in instrumentation, data acquisition, and analysis (LabVIEW preferred)
- Experience working with abuse testing at cell/module/pack levels and familiarity with safety testing standards such as UN 38.3, SAE 2464, RTCA DO-311,
Pursuant to various local, state, and federal regulations, you must show proof of your full COVID-19 vaccination status prior to your start date. Exemption requests are available for bona fide religious and medical circumstances.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing