Power Electronics Engineer
Located in Northern California, the Joby Aviation team is steadily working toward our goal of creating an affordable, all-electric air transportation system. Imagine an air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly and quickly carries you over the traffic congestion below, giving you back the time that otherwise would have spent sitting in traffic. Since 2009, our team has been making this dream a reality, designing and flight testing a prototype aircraft capable of serving in a network of electric air taxis. We’re looking for talented individuals to join our team as we push onwards toward certifying the aircraft with the Federal Aviation Administration and preparing for commercialization with launch targeted in select markets for 2024.
Joby Aviation is seeking a talented power electronics engineer to join our team designing electric aircraft. This engineer will work closely with mechanical, software, and other cross-functional teams and contribute towards the design of prototype motor-control inverters and DC/DCs from 0.5-200 kW. This is a hands-on position. Engineers are responsible for seeing their projects through from concept design to delivery and support of hardware. Optimizing designs for reliability, weight, and efficiency will be a focus.
- Collaborate with mechanical engineers to optimize placement of high power modules/components and bus bars
- Create clear and readable schematics for power electronics boards
- Component selection for minimum mass and maximum reliability
- Work with PCB designers to create reliable and low-weight layouts
- Write requirements, participate in DFMEAs, create and carry out test and validation plans
- Strong EE fundamentals, including:
- °5-10 years designing and developing power electronics, in particular, inverters for driving 50kW to 200kW motors
- °Strong grasp of motor control theory for surface and interior permanent magnet machines
- °3-5 years working in aerospace with a strong background in DO-160 compliance
- °3-5 years writing embedded software in C for control of inverters and/or other power electronics for aerospace applications
- °3-5 years working with DO-178B software requirements for aerospace application
- Schematic capture and PCB design
- Experience with component selection
- Completed (designed/built/tested) high voltage/high power designs
- Great communication skills
- B.S. in electrical engineering or related discipline
Pursuant to various local, state, and federal regulations, you must show proof of your full COVID-19 vaccination status prior to your start date. Exemption requests are available for bona fide religious and medical circumstances.
- M.S./Ph.D. in relevant discipline with a focus in power electronics
- Familiarity with Altium Designer
- Wide bandgap semiconductors
- Exposure to regulatory certification
- Design-for-reliability, including use of DFMEA and fault trees
- Designing for high EMI environments
- Battery systems
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing