Flight Dynamics Model Developer
Located in Northern California, the Joby Aviation team is steadily working toward our goal of creating an affordable, all-electric air transportation system. Imagine an air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly and quickly carries you over the traffic congestion below, giving you back the time that otherwise would have spent sitting in traffic. Since 2009, our team has been making this dream a reality, designing and flight testing a prototype aircraft capable of serving in a network of electric air taxis. We’re looking for talented individuals to join our team as we push onwards toward certifying the aircraft with the Federal Aviation Administration and preparing for commercialization with launch targeted in select markets for 2024.
You will play an integral role in the flight dynamics and aerodynamics modeling efforts at Joby. Responsibilities include contributing to the development and support of a physics based aerodynamics model for real-time simulations. The position requires a solid mathematical background, a detailed conceptual understanding of aerodynamics, and strong attention to detail. The applicant is expected to have experience with computational fluid dynamics (CFD) and aerodynamic modeling.
- Work closely with other flight physics engineers to develop and improve the fidelity of the aerodynamics model
- Contribute to Joby’s in-house modeling tools
- Contribute to Joby’s in-house simulation tools
- Interpret experimental data to correlate and validate the aerodynamics model
- B.S. in mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering, or a relevant discipline
- 5-10 years of industry experience in CFD and aerodynamic modeling. Experience credit considered for related advance degrees limited to 2 years for Masters and 5 years for PhD in fields applicable to this job.
- Strong understanding of aircraft and rotorcraft aerodynamics
- Experience with C++, MATLAB, Simulink, and Python
- Excellent problem solving, software debugging, and communication skills
- Experience with configuration control and management of models
- Ability to work in groups and individually
- Experience with high-performance computing
- Strong understanding of aircraft stability and control derivatives
- Experience correlating and validating aerodynamics models using experimental data
- Understanding of data fitting and data regression methods
- Previous experience working on an aviation certification program
Pursuant to various local, state, and federal regulations, you must show proof of your full COVID-19 vaccination status prior to your start date. Exemption requests are available for bona fide religious and medical circumstances.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing