Systems Engineer, Energy Storage and Distribution
Located in Northern California, the Joby Aviation team has been steadily working toward our goal of providing safe, affordable, fully electric air transportation that is accessible to everyone. Imagine an air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly and quickly carries you over the congestion below, giving you back that time you’d otherwise spend sitting in traffic. Technology has advanced to the point where designing and operating an all-electric aircraft is completely viable. Our team has been discreetly designing and flight testing this vehicle and is looking for talented individuals to see it through certification and high rate production.
Joby Aviation is looking for a passionate engineer that can join our growing team. This is a multidisciplinary position that provides the engineer a chance to interact with many of the key teams within the company. The Systems Engineers will own the architecture, integration, and life-cycle success of a single or multiple aircraft systems, ranging from requirements management, development, certification, and entry into service. Systems Engineers will coordinate between the various departments - Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Software, Flight Test, Manufacturing, Operations - as necessary to ensure the technical success of their systems. The Systems Engineers will work very closely with FAA Engineers and Joby DERs to ensure their responsible systems comply with all federal airworthiness regulations.
This position requires a basic understanding of aircraft systems, system development, and industry specific certification processes. The most important traits at Joby are a positive attitude towards the project, strong work ethic, and being able to self-manage and learn new skills. Forward thinking and the ability to adapt quickly to a fast-paced environment are a must.
The Systems Engineer, Energy Storage and Distribution will be responsible for some or all systems related to:
- System 24 – Electrical Power
- System 28 – Fuel
- System 85 – Fuel Cell System
- Generate, review, approve, and manage system requirements – including but not limited to regulatory, safety, human factors, design, environmental, manufacturing, quality, operational, and service requirements.
- Serve as the system-level expert for integration and coordination activities with various departments and the certification authorities.
- Conduct multi-disciplinary design reviews throughout the different phases of development, certification, and production readiness as required to coordinate and communicate system design projects.
- Conduct trade studies, analyses, and test programs as necessary to validate system architectures meet all requirements.
- Generate, review, and approve:
- System safety analyses, such as FHAs, FTAs, CCAs, etc.
- Engineering drawings, schematics, and design specifications
- System and equipment test plans and reports
- Compliance documentation
- System engineering processes
- Coordinate as required to execute and manage system design projects, testing, certification, production readiness, etc.
- Work with various company departments to ensure equipment and low-level designs meet all system and aircraft-level requirements.
- Various project management tasks as required.
- Skilled at creating and reviewing technical schematics, logical and functional diagrams, and engineering specifications.
- Previous experience with aircraft systems.
- Working knowledge of 2X.1309 analyses and processes, including Advisory Circular 23.1309-1E, SAE ARP 4761, and SAE ARP 4754A.
- Working knowledge of DO-160G environmental qualification.
- Excellent problem solving, communication, and technical writing skills.
- Basic knowledge of FAA regulations and guidance material and industry standards.
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering required; Electrical, Mechanical, or Aerospace Engineering preferred.
- Proficient in English.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office and Google Docs.
- Pursuant to various local, state, and federal regulations, you must show proof of your full COVID-19 vaccination status prior to your start date. Exemption requests are available for bona fide religious and medical circumstances.
- Working knowledge of lithium-ion battery technology and support systems.
- Previous experience managing complex sets of requirements.
- Previous experience preparing and presenting design reviews for complex, highly integrated systems.
- Previous experience defining system controls, crew indications, and flight manual procedures.
- Previous experience in testing, including instrumenting, data acquisition, and documenting and analyzing results.
- Whole-aircraft FAA certification program experience, Part 23 or Part 27 preferred.
- Experience and involvement with industry groups to develop consensus standards.
- 5+ years of relevant industry experience.
- Private pilot certificate or higher.
- Familiar with Dassault Systèmes engineering and management tools.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing