Located in Northern California, the Joby Aviation team is steadily working toward our goal of creating an affordable, all-electric air transportation system. Imagine an air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly and quickly carries you over the traffic congestion below, giving you back the time that otherwise would have spent sitting in traffic. Since 2009, our team has been making this dream a reality, designing and flight testing a prototype aircraft capable of serving in a network of electric air taxis. We’re looking for talented individuals to join our team as we push onwards toward certifying the aircraft with the Federal Aviation Administration and preparing for commercialization with launch targeted in select markets for 2024.
You will provide experienced leadership in support of air vehicle design, ground tests, and flight tests with aerodynamics performance design and analysis, and provide guidance on all performance analysis and certification concerns.
This role will handle planning and execution of aerodynamic performance analysis and testing of air vehicles throughout the development and certification process
- Interface regularly with Flight Physics teams (aerodynamics, controllability, control laws, loads), as well as Airframe, Powertrain, Flight Test, and other groups affected by performance and aerodynamics.
- Perform as a primary subject matter expert and FAA/EASA focal for Subpart B performance and flight analyst activities related to certification.
- Independently complete analysis, design, and testing pertaining to aerodynamics, performance, and handling qualities of vehicle designs at different stages of development and certification.
- Conduct propeller and mission performance calculations and the underlying engineering analyses that provide inputs to aircraft-level performance calculations related to product requirements.
- Evaluate component test and flight test data, using empirical data to improve analytical predictions and modeling and validate performance and controllability estimates.
- Support mission, field performance, climb/descent, and cruise performance analysis requests from the Air Vehicle, Flight Physics, Flight Test, and Certification teams.
- Collaborate with the broader engineering team to conduct multidisciplinary trade studies to guide design decisions related to aircraft performance.
- Support requirement verification activities in various engineering subject areas.
- Support test procedure development and test execution for field and flight performance validation.
- Develop engineering tools to complete analysis tasks associated with aircraft development and certification.
- Bachelor of Science in engineering (aerospace engineering preferred)
- Minimum 10 years of aerospace industry experience in flight performance, including test management and execution
- Currently hold an active Company or Consultant FAA Designated Engineering Representative (DER) authorization, or otherwise satisfy the basic qualifications for becoming a DER per the FAA Order 8100.8D and FAA Order 8110.37F
- Demonstrated experience working with or generating aerodynamic data related to lift, drag, and controllability
- Experience with and/or fundamental knowledge of computational fluid dynamics
- Experience with working with ground and flight test teams in various categories of aircraft
- Experience with development and approval of Aircraft Flight Manuals (AFM) and Pilot Operating Handbooks (POH) and the performance data therein
- Experience with rotorcraft or fixed-wing performance analysis techniques that builds on applicable educational experience
- Knowledge of safety assessment process, methods, and analyses (FHA, FMEA/FMECA, FTA, CCA) used in safety assessments (PSSA, SSA) per SAE ARP4761
- Expert knowledge of, and experience with FAA Subpart B regulations and compliance procedures for Part 23 and/or 27 aircraft, as well as Part 91 regulations
- Excellent verbal and technical writing skills in the English language
- Collaborates effectively between multidisciplinary teams
- Self-sufficient and self-starter, and maintains a sense of urgency in communications and actions
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Google Docs products
- Must be able to travel 30% to support testing and on-site support in Joby’s Santa Cruz, CA offices
- FAA Part 25/29 certification experience and knowledge
- Experience with handling qualities/controllability
- Experience with fly-by-wire flight control systems and control laws
- Experience with flight into known icing certification and analysis/test methods
- Knowledge and experience with certification of air data systems
- Equivalent EASA certification experience to FAA requirements noted above
- Proficiency with MATLAB and/or other scientific programming languages (Python, C, etc.)
Pursuant to various local, state, and federal regulations, you must show proof of your full COVID-19 vaccination status prior to your start date. Exemption requests are available for bona fide religious and medical circumstances.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing