Located in the redwoods near Santa Cruz, California, the Joby Aviation team has been steadily working toward our goal of providing safe, short-hop, fully electric air transportation that is accessible to everyone. Our vision is that of an air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly and quickly carries you over the congestion below, giving you back that time you’d otherwise spend sitting in traffic. Technology has advanced to the point where designing and operating an all-electric aircraft is completely viable. Our team has been discreetly designing and flight testing this vehicle and is looking for talented engineers to see it through certification and production.
Joby Aviation is seeking a passionate stress engineer who believes in the ability of urban air mobility to positively impact our cities. This role is an exciting position within the structures engineering team, as it allows for the engineer to interface with many disciplines within the company and assume a major role in the design of the aircraft. Prototypes are designed quickly and efficiently, meaning attention to detail is critical. The engineer will have experience analyzing aircraft structures, developing load cases, and preparing aircraft certification.
- Conducting design trades, optimizations for final product configuration definitions considering safety, strength, weight, & producibility
- Extraction and utilization of finite element analysis internal loads data
- Detailed sizing, static, dynamic, damage tolerance, and modal analysis of major structural aircraft components utilizing both classical hand calculations and finite element analysis
- Composite ply stack optimization for weight reduction while maintaining manufacturing constraints
- Supporting design reviews and signing off on structural parts
- Overseeing and supporting structural tests, including definition, planning, requirements, and report writing
- Directly communicating with mechanical design, team, and integration teams
Pursuant to various local, state, and federal regulations, you must show proof of your full COVID-19 vaccination status prior to your start date. Exemption requests are available for bona fide religious and medical circumstances.
- B.S. in aerospace engineering, mechanical engineering, or another relevant discipline
- 3+ years of working experience in relevant industry
- In-depth understanding of loading scenarios, free body diagrams, and structural behavior of aircraft components
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Highly proactive attitude with the ability to manage multiple assignments
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Advanced proficiency in finite element analysis, including nonlinear static and dynamic analysis of composite structures or metallic structures
- Ability to generate and review detailed analysis reports and aircraft type certification documents
- Proficiency with CAD
- Ability to work as part of a team in a fast-paced dynamic environment
- M.S./Ph.D. in relevant discipline
- 7+ years of working experience in relevant industry
- Expert knowledge of Abaqus/CAE or Femap/Nastran
- Experience performing analysis on aircraft primary structure
- Strong understanding of composite laminate theory
- Hands on experience working within aircraft certification program
- Good understanding of composite materials and manufacturing processes
- Excellent understanding of FAR Part 23 and 27 regulations
- Experience with MRB
- Experience with Dassault Systems CAD
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing