Senior or Staff Software Engineer, Platform
Gatik is the leader in autonomous middle mile logistics. We deliver goods safely, quickly, and efficiently in our fleet of medium-duty trucks, connecting people and communities to the goods they really need. With every delivery, we're making the supply chain more reliable, keeping costs low, driving sustainability, and making the roads safer for all road users.
At Gatik, we believe in establishing new standards of success for the autonomous trucking industry every day. In 2021, we launched the world's first fully driverless commercial delivery service with Walmart, a historic milestone that's changing the way we view goods movement forever.
Gatik is a place to learn, lead and grow alongside industry veterans who are defining the future of logistics, and we want you to help us shape the next chapter in our journey. We are seeking a passionate Staff Software Engineer for Gatik’s Platform team, who has strong fundamentals in software development practices and is an expert in C++ language with solid experience in developing large-scale real-time software applications. Our platform team is the center of excellence for Gatik software practices and the gate-keeper for autonomy stack software releases to our testing and operational vehicles.
The ideal candidate will be a highly experienced C++ developer and an expert software engineer with passion for enabling the world's first safe, reliable & efficient network of autonomous vehicles. If you’re a software pro and enjoy working closely with talented and collaborative teammates in a rapid-growth environment, we'd love to talk to you!
- Design, implement, integrate, and support real-time mission-critical software for the Gatik’s core autonomy stack
- Architect and implement solutions to complex issues involving interactions between components partitioned across the large software stack
- Be at the forefront of guiding & ensuring best SDLC practices, contribute to improving software architectures with peers and own safety in software engineering for the core autonomy stack
- Work with & inform infrastructure & devOps teams for efficient, secure & scalable software delivery to a network of Gatik’s autonomous fleet
- Guide & mentor autonomy researchers & algorithm developers to make sure their components are running efficiently and with optimal compute and memory usage
- Conduct code and design reviews for work done by peers, and advise peers and management on technical matters
- Review and refine technical requirements, and translate them into high-level design and plans, to support the development of safe autonomous vehicle technology
- BS or MS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering or equivalent knowledge and work experience
- 7+ years of industry experience in C++ development.
- Expert level knowledge of modern C++ language
- 5+ years of industry experience in the full cycle of software development.
- Excellent coding skills, ability to produce robust and readable code
- Strong understanding of build systems for C++ (CMake, Bazel)
- Experience in coding/scripting using Python/Shell/PowerShell language
- Solid Knowledge of Linux: use, installation, configuration
- Experience with containerization using Docker and CI/CD principles
- Experience building maintainable, multi-node applicationsGood understanding of storage systems, networking, and common data protocols and APIs
- Ability to clearly and concisely communicate with technical and non-technical stakeholders across all levels of the organization
- Experience with collecting requirements, creating software designs, and developing efficient implementations
- Experience with dynamic analysis (sanitizers, valgrind, gcov, etc.) and static analysis (Coverity, Klocwork, MISRA)
- One or more of the following:
- Strong fundamentals in mathematics & physics – specifically for robotics and/or ground vehicle navigation
- Experience with certification standards (e.g. ISO 26262, IEC 61508, EN 5012X, DO-178B/C, etc.)
- Safety-critical software development experience such as AUTOSAR C++14 or MISRA C
- Experience with secure coding practices (or a strong desire to learn and practice software security topics)
- Cloud experience/knowledge (i.e AWS, GCP)
- Experience with robotics middleware (e.g., ROS, ROS2)
- Experience in low level driver development for sensors and other hardware interfaces
Working at Gatik
At Gatik, we connect people of extraordinary talent and experience to an opportunity to create a more resilient supply chain and contribute to our environment’s sustainability. We are diverse in our backgrounds and perspectives yet united by a bold vision and shared commitment to our values.
From our offices in the Bay Area, Toronto, and Texas, we pursue big goals with a relentless focus. We are builders who focus on delivering for our customers and each other. We recognize that the path toward excellence balances thoughtful debate with aligned action.
Individuals seeking employment at Gatik are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy status, parent or caregiver status, ancestry, political affiliation, veteran and/or military status, physical or mental disability, or any other status protected by federal or state law.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Autonomous Delivery Network for the Middle Mile