Hydrogen Storage Lead Architect
Aviation faces an existential crisis due to its climate impact, with no apparent roadmap for meaningful carbon reduction, let alone meeting Paris Agreement emissions targets. That is where Universal Hydrogen comes in: a California-based startup with a burgeoning engineering center in Toulouse, France. Founded and led by former top aviation industry executives, our aspiration is to fuel those aircrafts with our revolutionary modular capsule-based logistics network, which seamlessly links hydrogen production with consumption without costly fixed infrastructure. Our first product is to convert existing regional aircrafts to hydrogen fuel cell powertrains for entry into service by 2025. Then we have our eyes set on fueling a hydrogen single aisle.
We are developing a state-of-the-art, uncooled, modular liquid hydrogen storage system that will be able to store hydrogen in transit without venting for over 40 hours. This storage life is achieved through the use of a specially insulated capsule that allows the pressure inside to build up without exhausting the boil-off. As a Hydrogen Storage Lead Architect, you will play a key role in translating the architecture into a second-generation detailed design, building and testing prototypes, and driving subsequent iterations of the design.
About the Role
- Optimize the detailed design of liquid hydrogen storage capsules, in particular how innovative features can maximize the storage duration of the liquid hydrogen without the need for venting.
- Lead the design trades needed to meet required design objectives (hold time, weight, capacity, maintainability, operability, distribution, cost).
- Build and test prototype storage capsules together with suppliers and iterate on the design to reach the required objectives.
- Integrate the capsule prototypes into ground and flight test means.
- On an ongoing basis, identify the ways in which design for manufacturing might be improved, and then develop and deploy these improvements.
- A self-starter who is curious, technically versatile, and enjoys a challenge.
- Previous engineering project leadership experience of a liquid hydrogen storage application.
- Experience in testing cryogenic storage tanks.
- A solid understanding of engineering integration and associated trades.
- Comfortable with modeling in Matlab and Python.
- A proven track record of bringing engineering projects from concept to reality.
- Ability to work in multidisciplinary teams, and to convey detailed technical concepts in a clear and concise manner.
- Enthusiastic at the prospect of working in a close-knit team environment, and contributing to the future of the aerospace industry.
At Universal Hydrogen, our mission is to fuel carbon-free flight and reduce the climate impact of air travel. We are stitching together the end-to-end hydrogen value chain for aviation, both for hydrogen fuel and hydrogen-powered airplanes. We are building a transport and logistics network that moves hydrogen from production facilities to airports over the existing freight infrastructure, eliminating the need for costly new pipelines and storage facilities. Our system utilizes specialized capsules that safely store hydrogen during transit and act as modular fuel tanks that load directly onto aircraft. We are also developing powertrain conversion kits to retrofit existing airplanes and enable new airplanes to fly on hydrogen. Founded by former executives from Airbus, United Technologies, Google, and DARPA, and backed by investors such as Playground Global, Tencent, Toyota, GE, JetBlue, and Airbus, we are convinced that hydrogen is the best and only scalable solution to truly decarbonize aviation, and we want to bring it to market decades sooner—by 2025.
We strive for a workplace that is open, friendly, and fun, while valuing focus, urgency, camaraderie, and maverick behavior in accomplishing our mission. We recognize that people have a diverse set of preferences for work conditions and hours that optimize their overall productivity and wellness, and both our cloud-based IT setup and flexible work policy reflect this. However, because we are building physical products, most roles will require working at our facility at Hawthorne Airport in Los Angeles or at Toulouse-Blagnac Airport in Toulouse most of the time.
Our compensation and benefits package promotes transparency, equitability, and long-term employee well-being, while rewarding individual and team performance. This includes a significant variable pay component in the cash compensation, equity participation for all employees, 100% coverage of healthcare costs, and dog-friendly offices. As a young company, we are continually expanding our benefits, striving to provide our employees with the support they need to be their best both in and outside of the office. In the next few months, we are rolling out childcare support, catered meals, green mobility support, and private pilot (PPL) training—and we’re always open to feedback on what’s most important to you!
We know that no two candidates are the same, and we want to give you the opportunity to present yourself in the best way possible. Don’t hesitate to let us know how we can support a great recruitment process for you—whether that includes off-hours interview scheduling, captioning/transcription services, or other accommodations. We value diversity in all its forms, and encourage people from all backgrounds to apply, especially if you share in our mission to decarbonize air travel.
Please note that for the health and safety of our employees, we require all employees to provide proof of up-to-date COVID-19 vaccinations as recommended by the CDC (or a valid exemption).
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Fueling Carbon-Free Flight