Who we are:
Solo AVT is building the safest, greenest and most cost-effective long-haul truck – ever. With experienced leaders in the field, we’re building a solution that will upend the logistics trucking industry. You will be working with a highly cross-functional team of systems, software, hardware and vehicle engineers, as well as an incredibly talented team of designers, technicians, and a wide range of other professionals.
FLSA Classification: Exempt
Reports to: Engineering Lead
Primary Job Responsibilities:
As a Senior Powertrain Engineer, you will be responsible for specifying and developing the powertrain used in the Solo SD1. You will determine the appropriate sizing and specification of powertrain components including the drive motor(s), gearbox, differentials, drive axles, inverters, powertrain controller and any other associated mechanical and power electronics components. You will lead the design and engineering of these components and ultimately be release responsible for all or a portion of the system. You will also be engineering responsible for certain aspects of pre-production builds. As the team grows, you may be designated as a subject matter expert and will be asked to provide guidance to junior team members. The ideal candidate works well within a diverse team while also being able to operate independently and deliver projects on time and to specification. This candidate is able to solve complex problems by working up from the engineering fundamentals to develop the best solution, regardless of what others are doing or have done. We can’t change the world by doing it the way everyone else has done it! Finally, while we are an engineering driven company, you will need to be able to effectively communicate with our co-workers and partners in both technical and non-technical capacities.
Job Requirements - Essential Skills:
- Work with the Systems Engineering team on drive profiles, system requirements and other associated input data to determine powertrain specifications
- Specify motors, systems, components and controllers and design their associated mounting hardware solutions suitable for a heavy commercial vehicle
- Execute mechanical design for powertrain components using CAD (preferably CATIA V5/V6)
- Support testing and validation of the powertrain system
- Execute engineering releases for mechanical components
- Engage with suppliers to close open items in a timely manner
- Assist with generating vital technical documents for the mechanical team
- Participate in the creation of DFMEAs and DV test plans for powertrain components
- Extensive experience interfacing and managing external suppliers
- Knowledge of CAD (CATIA V5 or V6 preferably) software including part design and assembly design workbenches
- Experience with fundamental design practices of die casting, forging, machining, sheet metal, and assembling drivetrain components
- Knowledge of GD&T per ASME Y14.5
- Ability to understand electrical and mechanical drawings
- Understanding and knowledge of 3Dexperiece is a plus
- Experience working in the automotive industry and startup environment preferred
- BS/MS/PhD degree in ME/EE or equivalent
- 5+ years of professional work experience as a Powertrain Engineer
- 3+ years working in the automotive or heavy trucking industry
What we offer you:
- High-quality individual and family medical, dental, and vision insurance with an employer contribution.
- Competitive compensation packages.
- Employer-paid group term life insurance.
- Employer-paid Short-term and Long-term disability insurances.
- 401(k) with company match.
- Paid vacation
- Holidays following the Federal Holiday Schedule.
Supervisory responsibilities: None
Physical demands: We are all hands on deck at Solo AVT in our efforts to create exciting change within the trucking world. The ideal candidate will be both adventurous and versatile. Daily activities could range from a full day of designing components at your desk, to full days working in the shop building out huge Class 8 trucks, and everything in between. Each day will be an adventure and you should feel comfortable handling moderately sized components within your daily routine.
Travel required: Subject to periodic travel requirements. Company-related travel expenses reimbursed per the company’s Travel and Expense Reimbursement policy.
Other duties: Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Solo AVT, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Solo AVT, Inc. is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. Please let the hiring manager know if you need an accommodation at any point during the interview process.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Revolutionizing the Freight Transportation Industry