Who we are:
Solo AVT is building the safest, greenest and most cost-effective long-haul truck – ever. With experienced leaders in the field, we’re building a solution that will upend the logistics trucking industry. You will be working with a highly cross-functional team of systems, software, hardware and vehicle engineers, as well as an incredibly talented team of designers, technicians, and a wide range of other professionals.
FLSA Classification: Exempt
Reports to: Engineering Lead
Primary Job Responsibilities:
As a Senior Thermal Engineer at Solo AVT, you will be developing thermal systems and components for heavy commercial vehicles from concept to production. At a systems level, you will need to work cross-functionally to understand the thermal demands of components throughout the vehicle and develop a comprehensive strategy for managing those thermal loads. You will be responsible for specifying and/or developing thermal components including radiators / heat exchanges, fluid pumps, lines, valves, thermostats, compressors, bottles, and more. You will be release responsible for both components and systems. You will also be engineering responsible for certain aspects of pre-production builds. As the team grows, you may be designated as a subject matter expert and will be asked to provide guidance to junior team members. The ideal candidate works well within a diverse team while also being able to operate independently and deliver projects on time and to specification. This candidate is able to solve complex problems by working up from the engineering fundamentals to develop the best solution, regardless of what others are doing or have done. We can’t change the world by doing it the way everyone else has done it! Finally, while we are an engineering driven company, you will need to be able to effectively communicate with our co-workers and partners in both technical and non-technical capacities.
Job Requirements - Essential Skills:
- Specify thermal architecture and create associated thermal system level and component level requirements for next generation heavy duty powertrains
- Work with cross functional engineering teams to achieve a balanced designs
- Design components for a heavy commercial vehicle using CAD (preferably CATIA V5/V6) and their associated mounting hardware solutions
- Provide design direction and design support to team members as needed
- Manage CAD and drawing release of all components within your area of responsibility
- Manage suppliers and complete component validation by generating test plans
- Work with groups across the organization to execute technical requirements
- Conduct design reviews and deliver hardware in time to meet all milestones
- Resolve hardware related failures and come up with short- and long-term corrective plans
- Hands-on work is an integral part of being an engineer at Solo AVT, so familiarity with and a willingness to use basic hand tools is necessary for success.
- Proficient with Catia V5/V6
- Some flow simulation experience using an industry standard simulation package
- Familiarity with manufacturing processes such as casting, CNC machining, plastic injection molding, wiring harness and sheet metal forming
- Experience in developing automotive or charging products
- Project management skills
- Knowledge of GD&T per ASME Y14.5
- Willing to work flexible hours and passionate about getting jobs done
- BS/MS degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent
- 5+ years of professional work experience as a mechanical engineer with a focus on thermal systems
- 3+ years working in a relevant industry like automotive, trucking, construction equipment
What we offer you:
- High-quality individual and family medical, dental, and vision insurance with an employer contribution.
- Competitive compensation packages.
- Employer-paid group term life insurance.
- Employer-paid Short-term and Long-term disability insurances.
- 401(k) with company match.
- Paid vacation
- Holidays following the Federal Holiday Schedule.
Supervisory responsibilities: None
Physical demands: We are all hands on deck at Solo AVT in our efforts to create exciting change within the trucking world. The ideal candidate will be both adventurous and versatile. Daily activities could range from a full day of designing components at your desk, to full days working in the shop building out huge Class 8 trucks, and everything in between. Each day will be an adventure and you should feel comfortable handling moderately sized components within your daily routine.
Travel required: Subject to periodic travel requirements. Company-related travel expenses reimbursed per the company’s Travel and Expense Reimbursement policy.
Other duties: Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Solo AVT, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Solo AVT, Inc. is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. Please let the hiring manager know if you need an accommodation at any point during the interview process.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Revolutionizing the Freight Transportation Industry