Electrical Engineering Manager (Onsite)
This job is no longer accepting applications.
May Mobility is transforming transportation by developing and deploying autonomous vehicles that get people where they need to go-- safely, easily, and with a lot more fun. Our vehicles are on the streets of Grand Rapids, Michigan, Indianapolis, Indiana, Arlington, Texas and Hiroshima, Japan navigating complex downtown scenarios and transporting thousands of people on their daily commute every week. We are establishing a ground game that will propel us into even larger markets in the future.
Based in Ann Arbor, Michigan, our team develops driverless technology to give people more time to laugh with friends, to solve an interesting problem, or to enjoy the world around them. We’re hiring people who share our passion for building the future, today.
Onsite employees come into HQ or one of our sites at least 4 times a week and have a dedicated workstation with a monitor, keyboard, etc. This role is an onsite role, based out of Ann Arbor, Michigan.
Your Opportunity for Success
May Mobility is entering an exciting phase of growth and our team is expanding quickly. We are looking for an Electrical engineering Manager to lead a team of electrical engineers while still performing technical tasks within the projects in order to accomplish company objectives. The candidate needs to have a passion for up-fitting existing vehicles with AV technology and compelling rider and safety driver experiences. This role will report to the Director of System and Vehicle Engineering.
In this role you will be:
- Responsible for the electrical architectures and designs of the different vehicle platforms
- Providing differentiating technical vision, designs, and strategy for cutting-edge autonomous vehicle solutions
- Leading the electrical engineering team in the development and production release of all relevant engineering deliverables
- Ensuring all targets (quality, delivery timing, performance, engineering budget, modularity, reusability, etc.) for engineering deliverables are met.
- Peer design reviews are completed and productive
- Quality of all team deliverables meet standards and timing
- Any required cross-functional design reviews or data sharing is completed
- Ensuring appropriate technical supplier relationships for all key suppliers.
- Collaborating with other teams such as: supply chain, Functional Safety, Cyber Security, Software, Autonomy, Production, Quality, Test and Validation,… to ensure the product safety.
- Ensuring proper engineering response is provided for new projects and engineering changes.
- Leading the continuous improvement efforts, research, recommendations and implementation of enhancements to products, processes and programs.
- Ensuring all necessary engineering documentation and data is generated and maintained to ensure traceability and compliance to applicable company procedures and industry standards and regulations
- Responsible for electrical requirements and their verification at the component and bench level testing.
- Supporting the rest of the functional disciplines with all aspects related to electrical hardware.
- Performing complex work assignments requiring independent problem solving and decision making, requiring strong electrical technical competency
- The primary interface to all electrical engineering related issues.
- Following safe work procedures; Use of appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE); Use of workplace tools and equipment as instructed; Reporting workplace hazards, injuries and illness as soon as possible.
- Ensuring engineering timing plans, defect / issues lists, risk assessments, lessons learned are created and maintained and providing engineering status for project reviews (e.g. gate, design, milestones, etc.) according to program timing for all projects.
- Supporting all Program Management driven reviews (e.g. Gate reviews)
- Defining and tracking the Key Performance Indicators of the team.
- Defining the Tools, Processes, and methods to be used by the team, and publishing the necessary Work Instructions, training material,…
- Participating in customer and internal technical reviews and in industry associations or regulatory forums as appropriate, to determine the influence of feature road maps and Inform the rest of the organization of any regulatory and standard updates, evaluate the impact on the current business, and provide solutions to meet these standards
- Partnering with Product Management, Operations, etc. to define processes and operating rhythms to effectively develop, launch & operationalize products
- Leveraging excellent communication and leadership skills to advocate for your solutions, working seamlessly across teams, functions and with customers
- Ensuring that tasks are properly resourced (both quality and quantity) for success, whether through assignment of direct resources, or leveraging of external resources as required.
- Providing team leadership, management support, including coaching and active engagement with direct and extended team. Responsibilities include, interviewing, hiring, training, reward and disciplinary actions, and performance appraisals of employees.
- Ensuring that the team is in full compliance with all safety regulations and maintaining regular attendance.
- Performing other duties as necessary in support of business objectives. Ensures that facilities are in full compliance with all safety regulations.
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- At least 5 years of experience in vehicle engineering leadership for hardware products, which includes launching a vehicle
- Prior roles in which you led a cross engineering teams in achieving a goal
- A Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering from an accredited university
It is preferred if you have:
- Experience in Autonomous Vehicles, Machine Learning, Robotics, Internet of Things (IoT) or Mobile Applications, Transportation as a Service
- Experience with User Experience and leveraging Design Thinking principles in the product development process
- Experience working in a startup
- Experience creating solutions that disrupt the market
- A Masters degree in Engineering or equivalent experience
- Experience managing other engineers
Want to learn more about our culture & benefits? Check out our website!
May Mobility is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants for employment will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, genetics or any other legally protected basis. Below, you have the opportunity to share your preferred gender pronouns, gender, ethnicity, and veteran status with May Mobility to help us identify areas of improvement in our hiring and recruitment processes. Completion of these questions is entirely voluntary. Any information you choose to provide will be kept confidential, and will not impact the hiring decision in any way. If you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: May Mobility does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, May Mobility does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Nice to move you