Senior Systems Engineer, E/E Engine Controls, Integrated Flight and Propulsion Control System (IFPCS)
Located in Northern California, the Joby Aviation team is steadily working toward our goal of creating an affordable, all-electric air transportation system. Imagine an air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly and quickly carries you over the traffic congestion below, giving you back the time that otherwise would have spent sitting in traffic. Since 2009, our team has been making this dream a reality, designing and flight testing a prototype aircraft capable of serving in a network of electric air taxis. We’re looking for talented individuals to join our team as we push onwards toward certifying the aircraft with the Federal Aviation Administration and preparing for commercialization with launch targeted in select markets for 2024.
Joby Aviation is on a mission to save a billion people an hour every day by introducing a revolutionary urban air mobility service featuring the innovative all-electric vertical takeoff and landing (eVTOL) JAS4-1 air vehicle. The Integrated Flight and Propulsion Control System (IFPCS) product team is seeking highly motivated, passionate engineers to help complete the mission.
The Integrated Flight and Propulsion Control System includes all the primary flight control functions (pilot inceptors, flight sensors, processing and communications, control laws, and control effectors) and some vehicle management functions.
The position offers the opportunity to have direct impact on the certification success of the JAS4-1 air vehicle, and its new and novel technologies in the emerging Urban Air Mobility (UAM) marketplace.
- Review and support of program and area specific certification plans
- Provide design guidance on system architecture and schematics, subsystem trade studies, PCB design layouts, component details, wiring diagrams and detail drawing releases
- Provide guidance on monitors and fault detection including analyses to show proper fault coverage and protection against nuisance trips
- Provide guidance on analyses for stability margins and bandwidth of control loops and processing capacity
- Advise design teams regarding interpretation of the Code of Federal Regulations Part 23 and its compliance
- Provide 8110.3 compliance findings to the Code of Federal Regulations Part 23
- Requirements validation engineering review
- Develop test plan templates for LRU qualification, subsystem bench tests, integrated system tests
- Support the writing of the test plans, detailed test procedures/scripts and test reports
- Support SAE ARP4754A company audits for FAA Systems Reviews
- Support identification and classification of HIRF and Lightning criticalities as required by Code of Federal Regulations Part 23
- DER witness for equipment qualification testing – specially for DO-160G sections 15 – 23, systems integration testing, and ground and flight testing
- System safety assessment review, verification, and validation (SFHA, PSSA, SSA)
- Define standardized template for Analysis Reports documenting ‘analysis’ method of compliance
- FAA technical interface meeting preparation, participation, and follow-up coordination
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering; Electrical, Aerospace Engineering preferred
- Minimum 10+ years of aerospace industry experience in engine control
- Satisfies the basic qualifications for becoming a Designated Engineering Representative (DER) per the FAA Order 8100.8D and FAA Order 8110.37F
- Knowledge of and experience with FAA Part 23, Part 25, Part 27, and/or Part 29 certification regulations
- Understanding and application of development assurance processes per SAE ARP4754A
- Expert knowledge of and experience with safety assessment process, methods, and analyses (FHA, FMEA/FMECA, FTA, CCA) used in safety assessments (PSSA, SSA) per SAE ARP4761
- Expert knowledge of and experience with DO-160G environmental qualification
- Excellent verbal and technical writing skills in the English language
- Collaborates effectively between multidisciplinary teams
- Self-sufficient and self-starter
- Proficient with Microsoft Office and Google Docs
Pursuant to various local, state, and federal regulations, you must show proof of your full COVID-19 vaccination status prior to your start date. Exemption requests are available for bona fide religious and medical circumstances.
- Electric vehicle technology experience
- Experience using Atlassian tools including Jira, Confluence, and Crucible
- Familiar with Siemens Polarion requirements management tool
- Familiar with Dassault Systems engineering and management tools (Enovia)
- Current consultant DER for the FAA
- Experience in Software/Hardware Audits (DO-254 & DO-178C)
- Experience with air data systems
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing