Airframe Structures Engineer, Systems Integration
Located in Northern California, the Joby Aviation team is steadily working toward our goal of creating an affordable, all-electric air transportation system. Imagine an air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly and quickly carries you over the traffic congestion below, giving you back the time that otherwise would have spent sitting in traffic. Since 2009, our team has been making this dream a reality, designing and flight testing a prototype aircraft capable of serving in a network of electric air taxis. We’re looking for talented individuals to join our team as we push onwards toward certifying the aircraft with the Federal Aviation Administration and preparing for commercialization with launch targeted in select markets for 2024.
Joby Aviation is seeking a passionate individual with extensive composite experience to join our structures engineering team. In this role you will be responsible for the development & detailed design of structural airframe components. As an experienced engineer, you will also be responsible for providing guidance, technical knowledge and strategic insight to fellow team members.
Being a part of the airframe structures team, you will be deeply involved in everything from preliminary concept work, to actual production. For this role, you will have a strong understanding of CAD design, and the ability to do hand calculations and create detailed models. Further, you will work closely with many disciplines, including our structural analysis, manufacturing and integration teams.
- Expert understanding of static and structural hand-calculations
- Design of composite/metallic brackets to integrate equipment and other aircraft systems
- Perform initial layout and sizing
- Fastener sizing, bond area sizing, riveting
- Composite <-> metallic material compatibility, galvanic corrosion
- Detailed drawing creation, GD&T
- Background in composite ply definition desired
- Experience with a variety of materials and comfort with relative mechanical properties across material families
- Experience utilizing multiple manufacturing processes, such as subtractive, additive, carbon fiber composite lay-up, and injection molding
- Direct communication with vendors and technicians in manufacturing
- Provide guidance to junior engineers
- Consult frequently with team leads
- 5+ years of working experience in relevant industry
- B.S. in mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering, or a relevant discipline
- Experience with composite and metallic component/structural design and analysis
- Experience integrating systems in aircraft
- Excellent problem solving and communication skills
- Proficiency in composite structures design
- Proficiency in CAD
- Able to relocate permanently
Pursuant to various local, state, and federal regulations, you must show proof of your full COVID-19 vaccination status prior to your start date. Exemption requests are available for bona fide religious and medical circumstances.
- M.S./Ph.D. in relevant discipline
- 8+ years of working experience in relevant industry
- Experience with Dassault Systemes/Catia CAD, specifically using the Composite Design Module
- Experience in composites manufacturing
- Experience with finite element tools (Abaqus)
- Aircraft homebuilding or rapid prototyping experience is a plus
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing