Airframe and Actuators - Test Engineer (Structures)
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Located in Northern California, the Joby Aviation team is steadily working toward our goal of creating an affordable, all-electric air transportation system. Imagine an air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly and quickly carries you over the traffic congestion below, giving you back the time that otherwise would have spent sitting in traffic. Since 2009, our team has been making this dream a reality, designing and flight testing a prototype aircraft capable of serving in a network of electric air taxis. We’re looking for talented individuals to join our team as we push onwards toward certifying the aircraft with the Federal Aviation Administration and preparing for commercialization with launch targeted in select markets for 2024.
Working as a Structural Test Engineer, you will support the Testing Team. As part of this team you will perform structural testing of flight critical structures for VTOL electric aircraft. Working in our structural test lab facility, the structural test engineer will prepare test procedures, assembly test setups, execute tests and analyze and report test data. The data collected during these tests will inform the company’s hardware design efforts and pave the way to safe, production-ready airframes.
- Create test setups to validate the structural characteristics of primary and secondary aircraft structures (primarily composite) by working closely with the aircraft design teams to capture the nuances of aircraft design loads and operating conditions.
- Develop formal test plans, test procedures, instrumentation plans, test stand/fixture designs, data acquisition architectures, and any other necessary tools to allow for thorough and repeatable testing of specimens as discussed.
- Analyze data collected during the aforementioned tests to generate reports that will provide quantifiable feedback to the engineering teams that will allow them to optimize their designs.
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering or a relevant discipline
- 2+ years of work experience in relevant industry.
- Excellent problem solving and communication skills.
- Strong analytical background.
- Hands-on attitude.
- Experience with testing of composite structures.
- Experience using sensors such as foil strain gauges, linear potentiometers, string potentiometers, accelerometers, etc. (including sensor installation).
- Fluent in data acquisition techniques, signal conditioning, and data processing techniques associated with above sensors.
- Experience with mechanical design of complex assemblies and manufacturing drawing creation, including weldments.
- Proficiency in Computer Aided Design.
Pursuant to various local, state, and federal regulations, you must show proof of your full COVID-19 vaccination status prior to your start date. Exemption requests are available for bona fide religious and medical circumstances.
- M.S./Ph.D in relevant discipline.
- 5+ years of work experience in relevant industry.
- Experience with industrial test laboratory environments and procedures.
- Experience with Dassault Systemes CAD, specifically using Generative Shape Design, Part Design and Assembly Design.
- Experience testing aircraft composite structures.
- Experience working with fiber optic strain gauges.
- Hands on machine shop skills using lathe, mill, welder, and other machine shop equipment.
- Aircraft homebuilding or rapid prototyping experience is a plus.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing