Manufacturing Engineering Intern, Powertrain and Electronics
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Located in Northern California, the Joby Aviation team is steadily working toward our goal of creating an affordable, all-electric air transportation system. Imagine an air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly and quickly carries you over the traffic congestion below, giving you back the time that otherwise would have spent sitting in traffic. Since 2009, our team has been making this dream a reality, designing and flight testing a prototype aircraft capable of serving in a network of electric air taxis. We’re looking for talented individuals to join our team as we push onwards toward certifying the aircraft with the Federal Aviation Administration and preparing for commercialization with launch targeted in select markets for 2024.
Joby Aviation is seeking an intern to help design, build and test, tooling and equipment used in the manufacturing of the most advanced electric powertrain in the industry. The person will design and build tooling and testing equipment to support the production of our industry leading Propulsion system. We expect our interns to take ownership of their projects and follow through with them to completion, while guidance will be provided, we’re looking for someone that is a self-starter and can work through problems themselves and seek out guidance only when required.
- Design prototype and production fixtures, used in the manufacturing process to improve ergonomics and repeatability.
- Support ongoing production builds by aiding with product build and engaging cross functional team members.
- Troubleshoot and optimize existing equipment for continuous process improvement and lean manufacturing principles.
- Create/Modify manufacturing work instructions, process specifications, manufacturing process flow, control plans etc as required for new and existing production processes.
- Perform testing and data collection needed to inform both design and manufacturing teams.
- Support gauge R&R studies for fixtures and manufacturing process conformance.
- Currently pursuing B.S., M.S., or Ph.D. in mechanical engineering or another relevant discipline.
- Excellent Multimodal communication skills – able to communicate complicated technical matters efficiently with colleges across various platforms and locations.
- Experience with hands on design, prototyping, and testing.
- Proficiency with CAD.
- Able to use sketching (or other rapid means) to communicate designs effectively.
- Experience with Solidworks, or Catia CAD platforms.
- Experience with Microsoft Programs including Visio, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Experience with Electric Powertrains, solar car, Formula SAE, or similar projects.
- Experience with Hands on Projects, Formula SAE, Baja SAE, Eco-marathon or similar.
- Relevant Hands-on Hobbies or personal projects demonstrating mechanical aptitude.
- Passion for Aviation, electric vehicles and sustainable energy.
Pursuant to various local, state, and federal regulations, you must show proof of your full COVID-19 vaccination status prior to your start date. Exemption requests are available for bona fide religious and medical circumstances.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing