Systems Engineer, Integrated Flight and Propulsion Control System
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Located in Northern California, the Joby Aviation team is steadily working toward our goal of creating an affordable, all-electric air transportation system. Imagine an air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly and quickly carries you over the traffic congestion below, giving you back the time that otherwise would have spent sitting in traffic. Since 2009, our team has been making this dream a reality, designing and flight testing a prototype aircraft capable of serving in a network of electric air taxis. We’re looking for talented individuals to join our team as we push onwards toward certifying the aircraft with the Federal Aviation Administration and preparing for commercialization with launch targeted in select markets for 2024.
Joby Aviation is on a mission to save a billion people an hour every day by introducing a revolutionary urban air mobility service featuring the innovative all-electric vertical takeoff and landing (eVTOL) JAS4-1 air vehicle. The Integrated Flight and Propulsion Control System (IFPCS) product team is seeking highly motivated, passionate engineers to help complete the mission.
The Integrated Flight and Propulsion Control System includes all the primary flight control functions (pilot inceptors, flight sensors, processing and communications, control laws, and control effectors) and some vehicle management functions.
The position offers the opportunity to apply a broad range of systems engineering skills with thread responsibilities from requirements to certification. The program lifecycle is currently in the late Preliminary Design phase, and immediate responsibilities will be in the areas of integration, verification, and validation, including failure modes and effects testing.
- Requirements capture, development, linkage/trace, management, review, validation in all areas of primary flight control and vehicle management systems
- Design support including architecture trade studies, development and definition, interface definition, analysis, and modeling and simulation
- System integration and verification and validation testing including test planning, test case identification/development/reviews, detailed test procedure development/review, automated and manual test execution, data reduction and analysis, problem reporting and issue tracking, and test report writing
- Management, mitigation, and resolution of issues, risks, and opportunities using enterprise tools
- Preparation of artifacts and briefing materials for internal and external technical meetings and program reviews
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering, Physics, or Mathematics required; Electrical, Mechanical, Aerospace Engineering preferred
- Relevant demonstrated scholastic project experience or internships
- Understanding and application of disciplined systems engineering processes
- Familiarity with requirements management
- Familiarity with safety assessment concepts
- Experience working in a laboratory environment
- Exposure to modeling and simulation using MATLAB/Simulink
- Excellent verbal and technical writing skills in the English language
- Collaborative worker but self-sufficient and self-starter
- Proficient with Microsoft Office and Google Docs
Pursuant to various local, state, and federal regulations, you must show proof of your full COVID-19 vaccination status prior to your start date. Exemption requests are available for bona fide religious and medical circumstances.
- Aerospace industry experience in primary flight and propulsion control
- Electric vehicle technology experience
- Extensive experience (5-10 years) integrating and testing complex, highly integrated systems, including failure modes and effects testing (FMET)
- Familiarity and experience with FAA Part 23, Part 25, Part 27, and/or Part 29 certification regulations (Part 23 is highly desired)
- Experience using Atlassian tools including Jira, Confluence, and Crucible
- Familiar with Siemens Polarion requirements management tool
- Familiar with Dassault Systems engineering and management tools (Enovia)
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing