Web Engineering Manager
Over the last few years, there has been a rush to develop technologies targeted at enabling autonomous vehicles, yet almost every company in the industry is still retrofitting legacy vehicle platforms and many are no closer to having a finished product.
Faction was founded in February 2020 by an expert team that has collectively developed and launched autonomous vehicle systems ranging from light electric vehicles to heavy-duty, Class 8 semi-trucks.
Our team can lay claim to having built some of the first autonomous vehicles deployed to paying commercial customers in 2018, and having developed the first driverless vehicle systems to have run on public highways with no safety driver on board in 2019.
At Faction, we’re on a mission to right-size transportation by making it driverless and accessible to everyone so that it’s smart, simple, and fun.
As the Web Engineering Manager you will focus on developing and leading the web engineering team and collaborating with our business stakeholders. You enjoy the challenge of balancing speed of execution with quality, while building scalable solutions to support Faction’s growing business needs. The successful candidate has extensive experience working with cloud technologies, especially AWS. They will also have experience with production lifecycle management and dev ops principles for cloud development.
What You’ll Do:
- Manage a team of engineers to design, build, QA and deploy web applications and mobile apps
- Collaborate with stakeholders to identify, define and document requirements
- Take responsibility for the software development life cycle of the web development team
- Hire, mentor, coach, and develop team members to succeed
What You’ll Need:
- BS/MS degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, similar technical field of study, or equivalent practical experience
- 5-10 years of professional industry experience with software development
- 5 years experience of managing systems or application development projects of all sizes and complexities, including large systems
- 3-5 years of leading or managing small technical teams
- Technical leadership experience - mentoring, coaching, and helping those around you succeed
- A solid grasp of web standards
- Hands-on experience building and supporting modern web applications, preferably at scale
- Deep understanding of application, web architecture, and development
- Familiarity with Progressive Web Applications (PWAs) and emerging web capabilities (web push, background sync, service worker, etc.)
- Expertise with at least one modern programming language
- Experience working with RTSP and socket servers
- Experience providing production support to business critical or revenue generating systems
- Familiarity with accessibility requirements
- Expertise in engineering best practices for the full software development life cycle including test-driven development, continuous integration and delivery, code reviews and paired programming and security concerns.
- Excellent problem-solving, debugging, & performance tuning skills
- Experience with agile or lean methodologies
- Passion about cutting-edge technologies, especially driverless technologies
- Experience with cyber security strategies and tools to safeguard against attacks
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Experience in a startup environment and high-growth companies
- Experience in working with AWS
Faction does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Faction is located in South San Francisco, California and authorization to work in the United States is required for this position.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Driverless electric vehicles at a fraction of the cost of a car.