VP of Aircraft Certification
We are seeking a VP of Aircraft Certification to join our rapidly growing team developing a state-of-the-art modular hydrogen capsule technology and a fuel cell-electric powertrain for the world’s first zero-emissions regional airliner. You will be working with an engineering and program team that is rapidly iterating the design and testing of a leading-edge hydrogen powertrain for aircraft, and playing a pivotal role in the design and certification of both a revolutionary propulsion system and a significant aircraft modification program.
About the Role
- Develop and implement the governance, processes and procedures necessary, throughout the product life cycle, for certification. This includes conceptual design, requirements definition, compliance planning, implementation, and post-certification activities.
- Lead the engagement with authorities to define and agree on the certification basis and means of compliance for a hydrogen-powered regional aircraft and related Part 33 certified powertrain.
- Develop processes and procedures for managing multiple STC organizations and consulting Designated Engineering Representatives (DER).
- Develop program and certification plans, with the broader engineering team and authorities, to meet the organization’s business goals.
- Thorough understanding of FAA aircraft certification requirements and processes, and experience working with these regulatory entities, including the country bilateral process.
- Certification experience from an applicant viewpoint.
- Willingness to challenge the established ways of working to certify innovative solutions in challenging timescales.
- Deep working knowledge of aircraft systems, engineering development, and test programs.
- Demonstrated ability to lead/manage a modification program or the development of a new aircraft program.
- Experience at an aircraft OEM, primary supplier, or certification authority.
At Universal Hydrogen, our mission is to fuel carbon-free flight and reduce the climate impact of air travel. We are stitching together the end-to-end hydrogen value chain for aviation, both for hydrogen fuel and hydrogen-powered airplanes. We are building a transport and logistics network that moves hydrogen from production facilities to airports over the existing freight infrastructure, eliminating the need for costly new pipelines and storage facilities. Our system utilizes specialized capsules that safely store hydrogen during transit and act as modular fuel tanks that load directly onto aircraft. We are also developing powertrain conversion kits to retrofit existing airplanes and enable new airplanes to fly on hydrogen. Founded by former executives from Airbus, United Technologies, Google, and DARPA, and backed by investors such as Playground Global, Tencent, Toyota, GE, JetBlue, and Airbus, we are convinced that hydrogen is the best and only scalable solution to truly decarbonize aviation, and we want to bring it to market decades sooner—by 2025.
We strive for a workplace that is open, friendly, and fun, while valuing focus, urgency, camaraderie, and maverick behavior in accomplishing our mission. We recognize that people have a diverse set of preferences for work conditions and hours that optimize their overall productivity and wellness, and both our cloud-based IT setup and flexible work policy reflect this. However, because we are building physical products, most roles will require working at our facility at Hawthorne Airport in Los Angeles or at Toulouse-Blagnac Airport in Toulouse most of the time.
Our compensation and benefits package promotes transparency, equitability, and long-term employee well-being, while rewarding individual and team performance. This includes a significant variable pay component in the cash compensation and equity participation for all employees, employer-paid health insurance coverage, generous parental leave, dog-friendly offices, daily catered lunch (and healthy snacks), and unlimited paid time off (along with a mandatory end-of-year company shutdown). As a young company, we are continually expanding our benefits, striving to provide our employees with the support they need to be their best both in and outside of the office. In the next few months, we are rolling out a 401(k) plan with company matching contributions and company-sponsored flight training to get your private pilot’s license.
We know that no two candidates are the same, and we want you to have the opportunity to present yourself in the best way possible. Don’t hesitate to let us know how we can support a great recruitment process for you—whether that includes off-hours interview scheduling, captioning/transcription services, or other accommodations. We value diversity in all its forms and encourage people from all backgrounds to apply, especially if you share in our mission to decarbonize air travel.
Please note that for the health and safety of our employees, we require all employees to provide proof of up-to-date COVID-19 vaccinations as recommended by the CDC (or a valid exemption).
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Fueling Carbon-Free Flight