Principal Engineer, Reliability, Maintainability & Safety (RMS)
We are seeking a Principal Reliability, Maintainability & Safety Engineer to join our rapidly growing team developing state-of-the-art modular hydrogen capsule technology and a fuel cell-electric powertrain for the world’s first zero-emissions regional airliner. You will be working with engineering, program, and supplier teams that are rapidly iterating the design and testing of a leading-edge hydrogen powertrain for aircraft. You will play a pivotal role in the design and certification of both a revolutionary propulsion system and a significant aircraft modification program.
About the Role
- Generate and review safety assessments and analyses for hydrogen fuel systems (FHA, PSSA, SSA, fault trees, quantitative and qualitative assessments).
- Provide advice and support on the safety aspects of design so that aircraft systems are developed in line with ARP 4754A.
- Implement applicable safety engineering requirements as defined in SAE ARP 4761 for systems and subsystems involving hardware, software, and human factors.
- Provide overall R&M and safety system expertise and judgment as necessary.
- Support the design engineers regarding R&M characteristics of equipment to ensure that design meets reliability, maintainability, system safety, and human factors requirements.
- Perform design tradeoffs while participating in design reviews.
- Perform R&M analyses of designs using methods, including failure modes and effects analysis (FMEA); failure reporting and corrective action system (FRACAS); and R&M predictions.
- Conduct failure evaluation ensuring closure of failure investigations and implementation of corrective action.
- Provide input to life cycle cost models relative to R&M elements.
- Support contract data requirements lists (CDRL), i.e., product performance, reliability, program and test, maintainability program and demonstration plans, and document activities for internal/external reporting.
- Generate and review common cause analyses such as particular risk and common mode analyses.
- Support the system design teams and suppliers to ensure compliance against the safety objectives.
- Generate and manage safety-derived requirements through the development life cycle.
- Review instructions for continued airworthiness to ensure safety compliance of the in-service fleet.
- Substantial experience working at an aircraft OEM, primary supplier, or certification authority.
- Practical knowledge of aircraft systems, engineering development, and test programs.
- Working understanding of the systems engineering processes and their application to the product life cycle.
- Advanced experience in RMS engineering.
- Advanced experience with systems development, verification, and compliance finding activities for airplane systems.
- Thorough understanding of the relationship between software aspects of certification, system development assurance (e.g. ARP 4754A, ARP 4761), and the safety assessment process.
- Broad knowledge of a technically specialized field such as human factors and system safety.
- Working knowledge of DO-178C and DO-254.
At Universal Hydrogen, our mission is to fuel carbon-free flight and reduce the climate impact of air travel. We are stitching together the end-to-end hydrogen value chain for aviation, both for hydrogen fuel and hydrogen-powered airplanes. We are building a transport and logistics network that moves hydrogen from production facilities to airports over the existing freight infrastructure, eliminating the need for costly new pipelines and storage facilities. Our system utilizes specialized capsules that safely store hydrogen during transit and act as modular fuel tanks that load directly onto aircraft. We are also developing powertrain conversion kits to retrofit existing airplanes and enable new airplanes to fly on hydrogen. Founded by former executives from Airbus, United Technologies, Google, and DARPA, and backed by investors such as Playground Global, Tencent, Toyota, GE, JetBlue, and Airbus, we are convinced that hydrogen is the best and only scalable solution to truly decarbonize aviation, and we want to bring it to market decades sooner—by 2025.
We strive for a workplace that is open, friendly, and fun, while valuing focus, urgency, camaraderie, and maverick behavior in accomplishing our mission. We recognize that people have a diverse set of preferences for work conditions and hours that optimize their overall productivity and wellness, and both our cloud-based IT setup and flexible work policy reflect this. However, because we are building physical products, most roles will require working at our facility at Hawthorne Airport in Los Angeles or at Toulouse-Blagnac Airport in Toulouse most of the time.
Our compensation and benefits package promotes transparency, equitability, and long-term employee well-being, while rewarding individual and team performance. This includes a significant variable pay component in the cash compensation and equity participation for all employees, employer-paid health insurance coverage, generous parental leave, dog-friendly offices, daily catered lunch (and healthy snacks), and unlimited paid time off (along with a mandatory end-of-year company shutdown). As a young company, we are continually expanding our benefits, striving to provide our employees with the support they need to be their best both in and outside of the office. In the next few months, we are rolling out a 401(k) plan with company matching contributions and company-sponsored flight training to get your private pilot’s license.
We know that no two candidates are the same, and we want you to have the opportunity to present yourself in the best way possible. Don’t hesitate to let us know how we can support a great recruitment process for you—whether that includes off-hours interview scheduling, captioning/transcription services, or other accommodations. We value diversity in all its forms and encourage people from all backgrounds to apply, especially if you share in our mission to decarbonize air travel.
Please note that for the health and safety of our employees, we require all employees to provide proof of up-to-date COVID-19 vaccinations as recommended by the CDC (or a valid exemption).
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Fueling Carbon-Free Flight