Principal Electrical Engineer
We are seeking a Principal Electrical Engineer to help integrate state-of-the-art hydrogen fuel cells provided by our partner Plug Power with Power Electronics and a 2MW electric motor being developed with our partner magniX to build an innovative powertrain for the world’s first zero emissions regional aircraft. In this role, you will be at the forefront of aviation’s response to climate change, pioneering carbon-free hydrogen as a credible means of propulsion.
About the Role
- Serve as technical authority for electrical system designs/architectures, while fostering innovative and creative design solutions.
- Develop system requirements for electrical systems based on project objectives.
- Design systems with architectures and interfaces that safely and effectively meet requirements.
- Develop, manage and interpret testing for the purpose of risk mitigation.
- Design system-to-system components and processes to connect key components including fuel cells, motor, power electronics, battery charging, sensor selection, system safety, etc.
- Support the development and optimization of high voltage components.
- Coordinate and manage electrical system suppliers in the development, integration, and testing of power generation and distribution systems.
- Provide onsite support during aircraft flight tests for high voltage systems.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering (or closely related field) is required. Master’s degree in a related field is an advantage.
- 3+ years of relevant engineering experience.
- Demonstrated experience in high-voltage electrical systems, preferably for transportation applications (e.g., automobiles, trains, aircraft).
- Demonstrated experience in one or more of the following areas: High Voltage Design, Combined HV and LV Architecture, DC/DC and AC/DC Power Conversion, Wire Harnesses, EMI Mitigation, Electric Motors and Power electronics.
- Experience creating:
- System specifications, requirements traceability and verification.
- High voltage electrical systems architecture and wiring schematics.
- System safety assessments, failure hazard analysis, and certification test plans.
At Universal Hydrogen, our mission is to fuel carbon-free flight and reduce the climate impact of air travel. We are stitching together the end-to-end hydrogen value chain for aviation, both for hydrogen fuel and hydrogen-powered airplanes. We are building a transport and logistics network that moves hydrogen from production facilities to airports over the existing freight infrastructure, eliminating the need for costly new pipelines and storage facilities. Our system utilizes specialized capsules that safely store hydrogen during transit and act as modular fuel tanks that load directly onto aircraft. We are also developing powertrain conversion kits to retrofit existing airplanes and enable new airplanes to fly on hydrogen. Founded by former executives from Airbus, United Technologies, Google, and DARPA, and backed by investors such as Playground Global, Tencent, Toyota, GE, JetBlue, and Airbus, we are convinced that hydrogen is the best and only scalable solution to truly decarbonize aviation, and we want to bring it to market decades sooner—by 2025.
We strive for a workplace that is open, friendly, and fun, while valuing focus, urgency, camaraderie, and maverick behavior in accomplishing our mission. We recognize that people have a diverse set of preferences for work conditions and hours that optimize their overall productivity and wellness, and both our cloud-based IT setup and flexible work policy reflect this. However, because we are building physical products, most roles will require working at our facility at Hawthorne Airport in Los Angeles or at Toulouse-Blagnac Airport in Toulouse most of the time.
Our compensation and benefits package promotes transparency, equitability, and long-term employee well-being, while rewarding individual and team performance. This includes a significant variable pay component in the cash compensation and equity participation for all employees, employer-paid health insurance coverage, generous parental leave, dog-friendly offices, daily catered lunch (and healthy snacks), and unlimited paid time off (along with a mandatory end-of-year company shutdown). As a young company, we are continually expanding our benefits, striving to provide our employees with the support they need to be their best both in and outside of the office. In the next few months, we are rolling out a 401(k) plan with company matching contributions and company-sponsored flight training to get your private pilot’s license.
We know that no two candidates are the same, and we want you to have the opportunity to present yourself in the best way possible. Don’t hesitate to let us know how we can support a great recruitment process for you—whether that includes off-hours interview scheduling, captioning/transcription services, or other accommodations. We value diversity in all its forms and encourage people from all backgrounds to apply, especially if you share in our mission to decarbonize air travel.
Please note that for the health and safety of our employees, we require all employees to provide proof of up-to-date COVID-19 vaccinations as recommended by the CDC (or a valid exemption).
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Fueling Carbon-Free Flight