Aerospace Engineering Internship
We’re looking for an engineering intern to support our journey to decarbonize the skies! The intern will work directly with our engineering team in developing a hydrogen fuel cell propulsion testbed at a scale never been done before. This is a paid internship for the Summer 2022 semester; an ideal candidate would have flexibility for these months.
About the Role
- Design, program, manufacture, and/or prepare testbed components, from sheet metal mounts to wire harnesses to data acquisition systems
- Perform unit testing and analyses on components like motors, inverters, batteries, and other power electronics
- Prepare test plans, checklists, and procedures to support test campaigns
- Troubleshoot and debug system faults
- Support hydrogen capsule and module manufacturing and testing as needed
- Passionate about aircraft and aviation while recognizing that the industry needs a path to minimize impacts on climate change
- Experience with any of the following:
- Python, MATLAB, Simulink, LabVIEW
- Strain gauges, potentiometers, accelerometers, or other sensors
- Arduino, Raspberry Pi, or other microcontroller programming
- SolidWorks, Catia, or other 3D modeling software
- Soldering, wiring, circuits, or PCBs
- Hand tools, machining, woodworking, or 3D printing
- Involved in student design teams like FSAE, Design/Build/Fly, AUVSI SUAS, etc.
- Have a great ability to search on stackexchange, YouTube, forums, and other online platforms to solve problems
- If possible, please include a portfolio or pictures of projects you’ve worked on!
At Universal Hydrogen, our mission is to fuel carbon-free flight and reduce the climate impact of air travel. We are stitching together the end-to-end hydrogen value chain for aviation, both for hydrogen fuel and hydrogen-powered airplanes. We are building a transport and logistics network that moves hydrogen from production facilities to airports over the existing freight infrastructure, eliminating the need for costly new pipelines and storage facilities. Our system utilizes specialized capsules that safely store hydrogen during transit and act as modular fuel tanks that load directly onto aircraft. We are also developing powertrain conversion kits to retrofit existing airplanes and enable new airplanes to fly on hydrogen. Founded by former executives from Airbus, United Technologies, Google, and DARPA, and backed by investors such as Playground Global, Tencent, Toyota, GE, JetBlue, and Airbus, we are convinced that hydrogen is the best and only scalable solution to truly decarbonize aviation, and we want to bring it to market decades sooner—by 2025.
We strive for a workplace that is open, friendly, and fun, while valuing focus, urgency, camaraderie, and maverick behavior in accomplishing our mission. We recognize that people have a diverse set of preferences for work conditions and hours that optimize their overall productivity and wellness, and both our cloud-based IT setup and flexible work policy reflect this. However, because we are building physical products, most roles will require working at our facility at Hawthorne Airport in Los Angeles or at Toulouse-Blagnac Airport in Toulouse most of the time.
Our compensation and benefits package promotes transparency, equitability, and long-term employee well-being, while rewarding individual and team performance. This includes a significant variable pay component in the cash compensation, equity participation for all employees, 100% coverage of healthcare costs, and dog-friendly offices. As a young company, we are continually expanding our benefits, striving to provide our employees with the support they need to be their best both in and outside of the office. In the next few months, we are rolling out childcare support, catered meals, green mobility support, and private pilot (PPL) training—and we’re always open to feedback on what’s most important to you!
We know that no two candidates are the same, and we want to give you the opportunity to present yourself in the best way possible. Don’t hesitate to let us know how we can support a great recruitment process for you—whether that includes off-hours interview scheduling, captioning/transcription services, or other accommodations. We value diversity in all its forms, and encourage people from all backgrounds to apply, especially if you share in our mission to decarbonize air travel.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Fueling Carbon-Free Flight